MD No S/O divide.

From: SQUONKSTAIL@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 18:01:33 BST

    Jonathan and MDiscuss.
    11 Sep. Jonathan wrote:
    > According to *PIRSIG's* MoQ, mind=Intellectual+Social levels
    > He says so explicitly in Lila (not that I like it)

    Skutvik:
    I know, but it's the definition of intellect as "an exact equivalent to
    mind" that I object to.

    squonk: 'The mind-matter paradoxes seem to exist because the connecting limks
    between these two levels of value patterns have been disregarded. Two terms
    are missing: biology and society. Mental patterns do not originate out of
    inorganic nature. They originate out of society, which originates out of biology
    which originates out of inorganic matter. And, as anthropologists know so well,
    what a mind thinks is as dominated by social patterns as social patterns are
    dominated by biological patterns and as biological patterns are dominated by
    inorganic patterns. There is no direct scientific connection between mind and
    matter.'
    Also:
    PIRSIG in a letter to Ant McWatt Jan 2nd 1998:

    "To prevent confusion, the MOQ treats 'mind' as the
    exact equivalent of 'static intellectual patterns' and
    avoids use of the term when possible."

    Note that mind is a term not used in the MoQ - we say static intellectual
    patterns instead. These patterns are in a relationship with DQ.

    > BO
    > Thus "intellectual description" is reality describe from the
    > intellectual level, no great revelation that, but intellect is not a
    > mind realm, rather the value of separating the abstract from the
    > concrete.

    > JONATHAN
    > Abstract vs. Concrete heh!
    > If that isn't Descartes, then I don't know what is!!!

    squonk: It would appear the Skutvik doctrine is Cartesian.

    Skutvik:
    Of course it is. I have been proposing this for a decade or so.

    squonk: For a decade or so a Cartesian doctrine has been proposed.

    Skutvik:
    This cuts the whole d..ed Gordic knot clean through!!. Q-intellect is the
    S/O, all of it, every last bit, while the MOQ is the intellectual pattern ...

    ..ambiguous enough for DQ to use it for the escape from intellect.

    squonk: Subjects and objects are culturally derived artistic creations of the
    intellect. They are static intellectual patterns of value. A better
    intellectual pattern is the MoQ, with its reference to the Tao or DQ.
    The term Q-intellect is meaningless in the MoQ.

    > BO
    > What is
    > described in ZAMM as pre-intellectual and gives rise to the
    > subject/object reality is the intellectual LEVEL of the MOQ, but there
    > are three more levels where no such division exists!.

    > JONATHAN
    > That may be according to Bodvar's MoQ, but is nothing like what Pirsig
    > said. He said that the "Social level" is on the mind and subject side
    > of the Cartesian split. I don't find that approach to be useful.

    squonk: See above regarding this.

    Skutvik:
    My MOQ? I accept all the Quality axioms, why is the SOLAQI so
    outrageous?

    squonk: You do not accept the MoQ.

    > JONATHAN
    > I stand by it - patterns at all levels can be "intellectualized".
    > That's what pattern description/definition is!

    Skutvik:
    You (too) seem to fall in the language trap, as if Q-evolution reached
    the intellectual stage along with language, but this can't be so. The
    social reality lasted for tens of thousands of years (the Cro Magnons
    the first to use language I'm told. 50k years ago) and hey surely
    "described" many things and made up a lot of theories so THAT can't
    define intellect.

    squonk: Language is high intellectual value.
    PIRSIG: Within this evolutionary relationship it is
    possible to see that intellect has functions that
    predate science and philosophy. The intellect's
    evolutionary purpose has never been to discover an
    ultimate meaning of the universe. That is a relatively
    recent fad. Its historical purpose has been to help a
    society find food, detect danger, and defeat enemies.
    It can do this well or poorly, depending on the
    concepts it invents for the purpose." Lila Ch 24

    Skutvik:
    But ...attention, language may have been the social pattern that DQ
    rode to intellect and is now found in every "intellectual" pattern in the
    same way that carbon is found in every living being. And language will
    forever be part of Q-evolution in the same sense that the carbon atom
    is BUT IT DOES NOT DEFINE Q-INTELLECT.

    squonk: The term Q-intellect is an invention of the Skutvik doctrine and is
    meaningless in the MoQ.

    Skutvik:
    But another mechanism kicks in: All levels in their era as top notch
    denies any value above itself, and everybody seem to be under
    intellect's spell these days. We get all these weird definition among
    those your own about all existence having an intellectual "shadow".
    MOQ is the first effort to transgress intellects borders, but its initial
    promising variety - the one that defined intellectual reality as the
    origin of the S/O divide - is now attacked from all quarters.

    Sincerely.
    Bo

    squonk: Subjects and Objects are culturally derived.