RE: MD Darwinisn in dispute ?

From: Jonathan B. Marder (jonathan.marder@newmail.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 08:49:39 BST

    Hi Platt,

    PLATT
    Jonathan, we've been around this block before, but since there are many
    new residents on the block since our last go around, a response to your
    position on evolutionary theory seems called for.
    [snip]
    Popper said that Darwinism is not really a scientific theory because
    natural selection is an all-purpose explanation which can account for
    anything and therefore explains nothing. It is not obvious that a
    faster horse sires more offspring, or that wings give an animal an
    advantage to breed more survivors.

    JONATHAN
    I accept Popper's philosophy of what constitutes a scientific theory, but
    dispute his representation of Darwinism. Without wanting to sound pompous, I
    would guess that I know more about the relevant scientific issues than he
    does.
    I also think your "account for anything" "explains nothing" paraphrase of
    Popper is irrelevant. According to my limited knowledge of English, to
    ACCOUNT FOR is synonymous with EXPLAIN. I and see no problem about saying
    that a scientific theory can "account for anything" (i.e. explain)- the same
    would go for quantum theory, thermodynamics and many other theories. The
    test is whether they can make verifiable predictions. I maintain that
    Darwinism does.

    PLATT
    These [Jonathan's pesticide resistance examples] are examples of
    microevolution. What's at issue, and what evolution
    theory fails to predict, are macro changes like the origin of life
    from matter, the development up from the simple cell, and the evolution
    of the cell into complicated, living organisms. The theory is always
    looking back. It can't tell us what the next macro change, if any,
    will be.

    JONATHAN replies:
    Darwin had no access to geological dating tools, so had no direct evidence
    for when various single-celled and multi-celled organisms first emerged.
    Therefore, any timeline Darwin implied is PROSPECTIVE. The fact is that the
    timeline constructed using the latest geological dating tools essentially
    confirms Darwin's ideas.

    PLATT
    I know of nothing in evolutionary theory that would predict the
    emergence of self-consciousness, the step up from the gorilla.

    JONATHAN
    Platt, all I need from you is a working definition of self-consciousness and
    we can then start testing theories . . .;-)

    PLATT
    What other predictions does evolutionary theory make besides the two
    you've named? You say there are many. How about half a dozen?

    JONATHAN
    Okay Platt, here goes
    1. We will find key enzymes conserved from bacteria all the way through the
    animal and plant kingdoms - SEVERAL EXAMPLES FOUND.
    (not Darwin, because he didn't know about enzymes, but a hypothesis implicit
    in all the funding that went into molecular biology).
    2. Some species will be observed to go extinct (SEVERAL SAD EXAMPLES).
    3. Climatic change will be associated with change in the flora and fauna
    (SEVERAL EXAMPLES in geological/biological record).
    4. Human's may turn out to be not so unique after all (SEVERAL EXAMPLES from
    language and behavioural experiments).
    5. Old molecules will be put to new uses. SEVERAL EXAMPLES e.g. the visual
    protein rhodopsin is related to bacteriorhodopsin, a photosynthetic pigment
    in certain bacteria.
    6. Hosts and parasites will be found to co-evolve (SEVERAL EXAMPLES).

    Platt, is that enough? If not, go find someone else to give you more. I'm
    through . . .

    Jonathan