RE: MD Dealing with the MOQ

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 16:45:44 BST

    Hi Paul,

    > ...has finally helped me see that this has become more of a general
    > philosophy forum than a site to discuss Pirsig's metaphysics in depth
    > and in its own vocabulary and definitions as provided by the author.
    > Indeed, it seems that the idea of agreeing on the meaning of MOQ
    > vocabulary and definitions has been generally declared either impossible
    > or even undesirable.
    >
    > So, as I have no other pet philosophy project or alternative MOQ
    > interpretation to discuss, it seems I've little to add to these
    > discussions other than trying to disentangle and [as you point out]
    > stifle the interpretations and syntheses of others.
    >
    > I think it's time to lurk for a while...

    Oh, I hope not! To lose your clear, incisive, accurate interpretations
    of the MOQ would be a great loss to this site which, despite the
    efforts of some to change the subject, is still devoted to a discussion
    of Pirsig's works. Yes, there are a few people here with certain
    agendas and points of view which they believe will, when properly
    understood, change the world. Others simply present views that are
    incoherent. But mostly it's just human nature to get off track once in
    awhile, as anyone who has attended any meeting of any size knows. I
    look at some of these wanderings as opportunities for DQ to present
    itself. Others that are obviously propaganda statements or irrelevant
    are easily and quickly sent to the trash bin with a keystroke.

    So let not Matt's "anything goes"philosophy and mindset discourage you,
    Paul. One sentence from you is worth many paragraphs from others when
    it comes to explaining the MOQ.

    Platt