Re: MD A metaphysics

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 12:32:42 BST

    David,

    David said:
    There is bucket fulls of interesting philosophy that does not want to restrict itself in the way you are suggesting, you start to sound like a positivist sometimes, but perhaps I might suggest that poetry is better on Being than a lot of philosophy, e.g, Holderlin, Rilke, but I think there is good philosophy to be done beyond pragmatism, in a way I want what we can't talk about easily to be at the forefront of our thoughts where as the pragmatist wants to forget about it. I think this pragmatism takes us along a certain road but then they decide to stop and not want to go any further.

    Matt:
    Poetry, yes, but not epistemology. That's why Rorty talks so much about poetry, that which is barely decipherable, intelligible. But poetry is not metaphysics or epistemology as long as we work as footnotes to Plato. That's a long-standing and well-known antagonism.

    Matt