Re: MD The Simpleminds at work

From: Ray Cox (baroquenviolin@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 12:26:12 BST

    Thanks for the "Simplminds" post. It said something I
    didn't have the courage to say myself. I've been
    reading the threads for a few weeks now, and I've even
    tried responding to a couple, but for the most part, I
    find myself frantically trying to follow threads that
    are perhaps too complicated for my grasp. The sheer
    amount of names, theories and statements is
    exhausting, and if that isn't enough, all of the
    names, theories, etc. have their own meaning and
    deserve individual attention and thought. A new idea
    usually leads to several hours, perhaps days, of
    reading and contemplation, by which time the thread
    has moved on to other things. The subjects discussed
    are naturally complex, but to such an extent that most
    beginners feel that they might as well be reading a
    foreign language. This is not the fault of the
    veteran members who are capable of discussing such
    difficult ideas; they do a thorough job, and many
    times they provide beginners with new insights and
    guide them towards new philosophers which is always
    welcomed. Unfortunately, most threads are accompanied
    by a fair share of bickering between members that
    doesn't really lead anywhere, but is only alienating.
    However, it is refreshing to see that I'm not the only
    one struggling to keep up with the MoQ discussion
    group; and I am encouraged by your questions relating
    to the MoQ and would like to respond if possible.

    1. I am a school teacher (children from 4 to 13) - I
    often get the urge to teach them the MoQ. Would it be
    wise? How would you do it?

    First, I would say that children would be much more
    receptive of the ideas regarding Pirsig's Quality than
    adults, quite naturally. One of childrens' most
    distinct characteristics on a general level is their
    creative tendency (open-mindedness); in addition,
    their sense of rationality is not yet fully developed.
     It may not be wise to attempt literally teaching
    pre-teens the "Metaphysics of Quality" for reasons of
    intellectual complexity. But this doesn't mean that a
    child is not capable of understanding Quality. Far
    from it, children are perhaps the most suitable. I
    guess this would imply that to teach students Quality,
    it should be done abstractly. By this, I mean to
    introduce the idea of quality through your teaching,
    rather than as the subject of your teaching.

    Another difficulty to teaching the MoQ would be the
    conflict that might result between ideas of Quality
    and the established, traditional education system.
    The vast majority of teaching material and subject
    matter is aimed at reinforcing a subject-object
    understanding of the world. I can't speak for them,
    but I would guess that very few science teachers would
    be open to the suggestion that the physical and
    biological concepts that they teach are not absolutes,
    laws, or definitive principles, but static inorganic
    and biological patterns of value. It would take a
    massive restructuring of the educational system to
    teach subjects like math and science, English and art,
    and history on the basis of values.

    But maybe it doesn't have to be that complicated.
    Teaching Quality to younger students doesn't have to
    imply rejecting subject-object concepts outright. It
    ultimately depends on your own decisions as a teacher
    on whether or not to introduce Quality to your
    students, and if so, how to do it. But I would also
    admit that one of the reasons ZAMM and Lila are
    difficult to understand on the first reading, is that
    the reader is often an adult with a highly developed
    sense of subject-object understanding.

    3. I have great troubles giving grades to creative
    works the children make. Can the MoQ be a help
    allthough pirsig wouldn't allow it? If yes? Enlighten
    me?

    I am a classically-trained violinist currently
    studying in a music academy in Finland. This question
    means a lot to me. Perhaps the MoQ would be capable
    of analyzing a student's creative work for your own
    benefit, but never to assign a grade. I am not saying
    that the current system of judging creative writing,
    art, music, etc. is not flawed, it is. It is not very
    different from Pirsig's argument against objective
    anthropology. But it would undermine the whole
    concept of Quality to use it as a grading tool. It
    would ultimately boil down to regarding quality as
    "what the teacher likes". It is only my opinion, but
    the concept of Quality should be seen as an
    alternative to the current desire to grade all
    creative work.

    8. Would it change our feelings about the whole MoQ if
    Pirsig appeared to be an ugly child-molesting sigar
    smoking bold woman? (like one of Roald Dahls witches)

    Dear Lord, I hope not.

    10. Is it moral to have an opinion about a President
    without living in his country? (looking at Culture A
    using the values of Culture B)

    Of course. For example, French criticism of US
    involvement in Iraq, although dramatic and sometimes
    low-handed, was significantly moral because IT WAS
    FRENCH. French government was only able to question
    American foreign policy and the president, because it
    had its own set of values. Without values, what can
    you possibly say about a president? Nothing. But
    since France maintained a separate set of values
    regarding the Iraq crisis, they maintained the ability
    and the need to criticise the US. To be blunt, I
    would also say that most people have a strong opinion
    regarding Hitler, although most of them never lived in
    Germany.

    Thank you again for the post, and I hope this in some
    way, proves useful. I also plan to post questions of
    my own, silly and/or orginial, in the future with the
    hope of someone, veteran or lurk taking some interest.

    Sincerely,

    Raymond