Re: MD Dealing with S/O

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 21:36:09 BST

    Hi Scott

    I would really like to get up to speed with this
    debate because I find I agree closely with your posts
    and really like the Barfield and L of CI. But I cannot see
    why this cannot be used to support the MOQ as it stands
    without contradiction. L of CI is very close to Francois
    Laruelle and his version of open dialectic it seems to me.
    Laurelle was discussed in Radical Philosophy Magazine 121 last month by Ray
    Brassier..
    By the way my book is all about free-life and limitation if you want to read
    it.
    The point of L of CI seems to me to hold onto both unity and choice or
    openness
    as not simply prior but implicit in any form of dualist pairs. A fine heresy
    as heresy is
    derived from the Greek for choice. I like to think of myself as such a
    heretic.
    Laurelle suggests that unlike all other kinds of metaphysics decision is
    essence.
    Decision implies splitting asunder that which is originally a unity.
    Decision of course implies dynamic quality. Human experience is nothing if
    not
    full of dynamic quality. The emergence of static quality in human experience
    is an effort,
    memory and intelligence are required. Analysis/choice requires a
    separation/alienation
    of what is given. Eg into Kants: noumenal/phenomenal or Hegel's
    subject/substance.
    This activity/choice is entirely dynamic and creative because you have
    created whatever
    distinction you have set up between the two. And the distinction implies
    both the difference
    and the unity ot the two distinct poles because the distinction also implies
    the givenness of
    the two terms, hence different but inseparable. I think this is what L of CI
    is also
    getting at. When we turn to talking about human beings we have to see the
    full complexity:
    static biological patterns: we all have 2 hands, dynamic biological patterns
    all individuals
    grow and in non-determined ways e.g. brain cell connectivities as related to
    environment,
    static social patterns-we all sit down to meals, dynamic ones -some
    individuals change class,
    static intellectual patterns -common usage of English, dynamic writing of
    poems,etc. The problem
    with SoM being loss of focus on dynamic quality and therefore also the unity
    of static/dynamic in
    undifferentiated quality. We need the unity to keep challenging the creative
    differentiation, so you
    can question when we get bogged down in one approach to reality. We SO need
    to be flexible
    and dynamic in our numerous language games (emphasis more on play), and stop
    trying to reduce
    experience to yet another cut of reality, often focusing on just one of the
    poles after the cut is made.

    When you say the subject is a mystery I assume you are pointing to the
    dynamic quality of the subject.
    Equally the object is a mystery, why is there anything rather than nothing.
    For me awareness is possible
    because really subject and object is a unity, Da-sein or Being-there is what
    being an aware human being is.
    Da-sein is not bordered by the outline of the human body, the object and
    subject of awareness are equally
    Da-sein or what it is to be human. Put a human body in total isolation and
    you no longer have a human being.
    And of course we can only start talking about subjects and objects as part
    of human experience when
    we have the language to make them start appearing, as we divide up our
    experience. Hence for early
    cultures your spirit can occupy a tree, still does rather obviously I would
    suggest, if the tree is not full
    of your spirit how do you know it is there? I cannot think of awareness as
    anything other than primary,
    and has to be based on unity, otherwise you get into rather Kantian problems
    about how knowledge could
    ever be possible, re-cognise has to imply the 're', i.e. the recogntion in
    subject-object relations is plausible
    if the movement is from the One to the many to a new one. Brassier compares
    it to a moebius strip, the circle is cut,
    then twisted and then rejoined, still joined but now a new kind of
    circle -with an added twist.

    I also think that the dynamic quality possessed by human beings or
    possessing human beings simply says that they have a future, having a future
    implies indeterminacy and openness, and having a future implies being
    connected to many different
    possibilities, and being human means making choices and this implies values
    and a frightening level of responsibility
    (that almost no one seems to realise) and an awareness of many possible
    futures implies intelligence because
    intelligence must be chosing between futures, what else is it for? And not
    chosing, or repeating old patterns, implies
    being unaware and unconscious, and perhaps the most sleepy things of all are
    material beings.

    Also if human beings are touched by dynamic quality what is our relationship
    to all the static patterns
    that lie around us? Like frozen bits of choice, like fossils, like bad
    habits we can't shake off. Perhaps, we are
    more responsible for what lies around us than we usually think, perhaps this
    explains the anthropic principle
    problem.

    Oh yes, language and intellect should not be treated as unreal, they are
    super real, they are the light which we use
    to illuminate the world, what a world it is with language and intellect! The
    cosmos is surely an event as much as the
    microcosm of man is, the dynamic choice implied in all thinking as per L of
    CI or the non-philosophy
    of Laruelle, has surely also occurred on the way from big bang to all the
    complex differentiation of matter and life forms.

    I agree that there is a good argument that MOQ, post-modernism, L of CI,
    non-philosophy, could be put
    together into a new metaphysics, a kind of meta-physics that is beyond the
    wildest imagination of the pragmatists
    and what they mean by metaphysics. We so need not to escape or avoid
    thinking but we also need to hang onto
    the oneness/unity of quality/experience so that everything is constitutive
    of who we are rather than as standing up against
    us. There seems to be an inevitable logic to pushing the SOM divide as far
    as you can take it so as to understand how
    the two poles are inseparable and from the same source.

    regards
    David Morey