Re: MD Dealing with S/O

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 14:43:18 BST

    Scott:Yes, but also that when you press on either of paired items, it seems
    turn into the other. For example, to say that SQ can be changed by DQ
    implies a unity across the change, so SQ seems to be dynamic, while DQ,
    since it is the permanent factor, seems to be static.

    DM: totally agree.

    Scott: Since I assume the subject only exists in polar relation to an
    object, I
    > would prefer saying that the S/O divide is a mystery, not that subject or
    > object is a mystery. Or rather, they are derivately.

    DM:Exactly.

    Scott:I think it is the other way: the tree's spirit can occupy us, though
    in the
    > end this may be that a common spirit occupies both (and, by the L of CI,
    > both are different from the common spirit, that is, are individuals).

    DM: I would not argue with this, we can only really approach these things
    tentatively, but I think individuality has to be seen as a subset of a
    larger set.
    And at times making it very difficult to say where one individual ends and
    another begins.

    DM:
    > I also think that the dynamic quality possessed by human beings or
    > > possessing human beings simply says that they have a future, having a
    > future
    > > implies indeterminacy and openness, and having a future implies being
    > > connected to many different possibilities, and being human means making
    > choices and this implies values
    > > and a frightening level of responsibility
    > > (that almost no one seems to realise)
    >
    > Scott:
    Very important point. It is why I don't differentiate philosophy from
    > religion.

    DM: For many years I did, but now for me philosophy finds itself walk
    straight back into
    religion. See this article on Radical Philosophy as a single example of what
    seems to be
    where post-modernism is now heading:

    http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/default.asp?channel_id=2188&editorial_id=13
    669

    Scott: Here is where I get (relative to current cultural norms) crackpotty.
    > assume that intelligence creates universes, so it is no surprise that the
    > universe is (a) intelligible, and (b) defined just right for intelligence
    > exist in it. Furthermore...

    DM: Yes me too, but how mad do you have to be to think the cosmos does
    not seem full of intelligent activity, but not theism, I say activity and
    open,
    no pre-design, more intelligent activity. How they will laugh at the fall of
    the
    enlightenment in the future, we are like the flat-earhers us moderns!

    Scott:> As I said to DMB, I distinguish carefully between the SOM divide and
    the S/O
    > divide. Otherwise, I agree. A while back I put forth the idea of an ironic
    > metaphysics, one where the only dogma allowed (read: assumptions) are ones
    > one cannot understand, i.e., the L of CI. I'm not sure how high it would
    > fly, though.

    DM: Ironic metaphysics, yes I am definately a tongue in cheek fan of
    metaphysics,
    as an ontological phenomenologist, or an MOQer, I do laugh when Matt gets
    all
    upset about metaphysics, because I feel like I am hanger loser than the
    pragmatist
    can manage. please explain this distinction SOM divide to S/O divide.

    Regards
    David M