Re: MD A metaphysics

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 11:26:10 BST

    Hi Matt,

    A brief comment on something you mentioned last week.

    > Rortyans read Wittgenstein as not saying that the silence we reach says there is a wall with
    something special on the other side, but that the silence means "mu", it means we've asked a bad
    question, conducted a bad line of inquiry.

    This is something of a debated question in Wittgenstein studies, often referred to by the comment,
    'was he trying to whistle it?' - ie, that at the end of the Tractatus, when he says we cannot speak
    about the mystical/value/ ethical realm, was he holding open the option of there being other ways to
    express/access that realm?

    Some interpreters say that he was, some that he wasn't. I am firmly in the former camp, largely on
    the basis of various other comments he made, and the integrity between his pattern of life and his
    thinking. (The reason why I have never felt bothered enough about Heidegger to explore him in
    depth).

    Of course the deep question is whether this attitude (whistling or not whistling) carried through
    into his mature work. Again this is disputed, but I would say that it was. In other words, that his
    later understanding of language, although it was much richer than the picture theory of language,
    was still governed by the inexpressibility of the mystical.

    To refer to the point about the wall, Wittgenstein comments that although it is an urge to run up
    against the boundaries of language, he has a profound respect for that urge. It is not at all that
    he thinks it (necessarily) a waste of time.

    This could feed in to a conversation about transcendence, if you were minded to have one. Did I ever
    send you my MA thesis on this topic?

    Cheers
    Sam