MD SOM's ambiguities--an opening for the MOQ

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 15:24:39 BST

    Hi All:

    In an article in the Atlantic magazine, physicist Paul Davies
    speculates on the effect on established religion of discovering life
    outside our planet. You can catch the article at:

    http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/09/davies.htm

    What I found most interesting in the article was Davies' description of
    the "new design argument" to explain evolution. He writes, "In this
    version of cosmic design, God acts not by direct intervention but by
    creating appropriate natural laws that guarantee the emergence of life
    and mind in cosmic abundance." He ends the article saying, "The more
    one accepts the formation of life as a natural process (that is, the
    more deeply embedded one believes it is in the overall cosmic scheme),
    the more ingenious and contrived (dare one say 'designed') the universe
    appears to be."

    Those familiar with the MOQ will immediately recognize the connection
    between the "new design argument" and the role of DQ and SQ in the
    evolutionary process as described by Pirsig in Chapter 11 of LILA.
    There Pirsig makes it clear (in different words) that DQ/SQ forces are
    "embedded in the overall cosmic scheme" as "natural forces."

    What struck me in re-reading Chapter 11 was how DQ found "the ambiguity
    of carbon's bonding preferences" as the opening it needed to overcome
    the laws of gravity and thermodynamics. This led me to ask myself,
    "What ambiguities are there in the edifice of SOM might we use as an
    opening to overcome SOM's nearly universal (and unthinking) acceptance
    by Western culture?

    Once asked, the answer quickly came. SOM is wildly ambiguous about:

    How something emerged from nothing.
    How life emerged from pond scum.
    How consciousness emerged from a lump of meat.

    These questions SOM has failed to answer since it became the dominant
    worldview of the intellectual level. Some scientists have tried with
    ambiguous results. Evolutionary theory, SOM's Holy Grail, fails at the
    most basic level, that of beginnings.

    I'm not up on the new design arguments that Davies refers to, but I
    doubt if any have the breadth and depth of the MOQ. So it occurred to
    me that we have the ambiguity we need to open more people's eyes to the
    value of the MOQ as the answer to questions SOM can't answer or shrugs
    off from answering by saying, "That's not my job."

    Many of you who are in academe are in a position to be proactive in
    raising these questions and point to SOM's shortcomings, thus opening
    an introduction to the MOQ. Others like me will have to be content to
    raise the issue as opportunities present themselves, such as in
    conversations, in responses to articles on the internet, and in letters
    to the editor of magazines, newspapers and TV news programs.

    I think the key to getting a hearing is simply to raise doubt about the
    SOM model of the experience, the same doubt that drew most of us to
    consider the MOQ has a viable alternative. To open a mind or two to the
    possibility of seeing the world through other than SOM eyes would be a
    step in the right -- or shall we say, "better" -- direction.

    To that end I always have an extra copy of LILA in paperback on hand to
    give to someone who seems seriously interested in seeing the world
    through a different set spectacles. In fact, I recently mailed a copy
    to my son-in-law's Dad. So far, silence.

    Platt