Re: MD Dealing with S/O

From: skutvik@online.no
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 08:05:51 BST

    Dan, Mark, David M. and All.
    22 Sep. you wrote:

    > Bodvar: All value patterns started their "career" in the service ofrelevance
    > the parent level, but gradually they took off on their own and became
    > a new value dimension. (page 37, LILA'S CHILD)

    Good to have an input from you Dan, but I'm not sure what relevance
    my above has for David M's question below?

    > >Can someone post up the bit in Lila's Child
    > >that puts mind on the fourth level please.

    and for the Pirsig quotation below ...?

    > Pirsig annotation #25: This is OK. In LILA, I never defined the
    > intellectual level of the MOQ, since anyone who is up to reading LILA
    > already knows what "intellectual" means. For purposes of MOQ
    > precision, let's say the intellectual level is the same as mind. It is
    > the collection and manipulation of symbols, created in the brain, that
    > stands for patterns of experience. (page 60, LC)

    Dan, I have a post under preparation that hopefully will reconcile all
    definitions of Q-intellect. Look out for it.

    Mark wrote (the 22th):

    > I don't think Pirsig wishes to have to say this, but his audience wants to know what mind is, and so he speaks
    > in a general way: 'let (us) say...'

    I like this Mark, I've always tried to explain it in a similar way: Pirsig
    was forced to deliver a definition and "mind" came closest to Q-
    intellect (I call)

    > 'Intellect is simply thinking' Lila's Child

    > PIRSIG in a letter to Ant McWatt Jan 2nd 1998:

    > "To prevent confusion, the MOQ treats 'mind' as the
    > exact equivalent of 'static intellectual patterns' and
    > avoids use of the term when possible."

    > Static intellectual patterns are the fourth level in the MoQ and mind is a term that is to be avoided. If
    > people have an ingrained concept of mind, (which is a useless concept if the process of thinking is not
    > involved), then it can be difficult shift without a degree of resistance? As static intellectual patterns
    > respond to DQ, thinking is a Dynamic, and hopefully evolving process. Sorry for the confusion, Mark

    You are right, "mind" is ingrained because it's part and parcel of the
    mind/matter dichotomy which descends directly from the S/O divide.
    The term can't be avoided, but must (as part of the S/O) find its place
    within the MOQ and I still think the whole intellectual level is its proper
    place. The MOQ is a development "out of intellect", it is born there (in
    the same way that Q-intellect was born from Q-society) but is a
    stranger at home.

    David M (today. Below becomes above here):

    > Hey thanks for below:
    > I don't believe the below, it says that the intellectual
    > can be seen as an aspect of mind not that mind is an
    > aspect of the intellectual level, some of the arguments
    > I seem to have read seem to have inverted this quote.

    Hmm. Perhaps you have an important point here. Intellect an aspect
    of mind?! But as Q-intellect is a static aspect of DQ, it means that
    MIND = DQ and THAT one I buy!

    > However, the quote does seems to imply SOM dualism
    > with 'stands for' -a possible mistake, but we all slip into SOM
    > here and there. Whatever we experience, whichever organs
    > are involved (eg brain), whatever theories we might suggest about
    > objetcs, it is all just one unified experience.

    S/O is inevitable but S/O Metaphysics can be discarded in ...IS
    discarded once one accepts the MOQ as a matter of fact!

    Sincerely.
    Bo