Re: MD Dealing with S/O

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 03:04:32 BST

    Dan,

    > The definitions and the synonyms seem to be a perfect fit with Robert
    > Pirsig's annotations in Lila's Child. RMP has said that he didn't define
    the
    > intellectual level in Lila, and ZMM doesn't pertain directly to the MOQ,
    so
    > I don't see why there is an uneasiness over the LC annotations or why a
    > different formulation of intellect is needed. I know you've been over all
    > this many times, but could you explain your objections to me in simple
    terms
    > using definitions we can all agree on?

    My objection does not have to do with definitions. It is instead that Pirsig
    does not distinguish between thinking and thoughts, but lumps them both
    under the heading SQ. I consider thinking to be, at least potentially, the
    creation of static patterns, not itself a static pattern. Likewise, I see
    the mind as a locus of DQ/SQ interplay, again, not as just SQ. (Oops, I
    forgot I'm not trying to fix the MOQ anymore. Lop off the Q's :-).

    - Scott