Re: MD the nature of value

From: Patrick van den Berg (cirandar@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 22:54:15 BST

    Hi David M,

    --- David MOREY <us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I like very much:Their hierarchy (which is "higher" and which "lower")
    > is
    > simply a matter of historical chronology and -by combining with the
    > idea
    > that "all static patterns of value migrate towards DQ"- a suggestion
    > that
    > "later" patterns of value have more (or "are more had by") Dynamic
    > Quality.
    > (No more than a suggestion, because of the undefinability of DQ
    >
    > But I would suggest that the creation of matter (stuff you can kick)
    > has
    > been
    > brought about initially by a sacrifice of freedom/quality. It is only
    > after
    > achieveing matter
    > that the cosmos heads back to DQ. I suggest that the big bang is a
    > very DQ
    > situation,
    > that particles have a lot of DQ hence quantum theory's structure,
    > atoms have
    > more SQ
    > less DQ, and molecules have more SQ less DQ. Hence the stability of
    > molecules,
    > and their move from lots of electro-magnetic rushing about to the
    > stability
    > of inertia.
    > This is a potted scheme of A.M.Young's suggestions in The Reflexive
    > Universe.
    > The SOM divide is derived from the strong SQ of everyday matter, and
    > the
    > greater DQ
    > of particles has led to the rethinking of ideas of matter such as in
    > quantum
    > theory.
    > Life represents a cosmic turn from increasing SQ (to create
    > actuality/finite/limited/matter-like
    > stuff) until we reach life and that heads off back home, i.e. in the
    > direction of DQ.

    Your scetch of the last 14 billion years in a few sentences reminds me
    of the story of the prodigal son. What strikes me as paradoxal in the
    story, is that you can argue that the return of the prodigal son creates
    more happiness, than his whole trip to decadence has created
    unhappiness. Why would DQ create sqs only to have them return to DQ? I'd
    like to think that undivided, perhaps neutral DQ, or the quantum vacuum,
    can create from this better Quality in the whole. To put it simply, if
    there was first a Nothing (no static qualities at all), maybe there was
    and is a creation where 'positive' or good quality outweighs the bad
    qualities.
    What I'm getting at: when someone walking with Einstein told him about
    the possibility that the total amount of energy in the universe might be
    zero, he stopped in his tracks when crossing a busy road. Anyhow, if the
    answer to this question is negative, i.e. that the total amount of
    energy in the universe is smaller or bigger than zero, maybe a similar
    story goes for Quality (the sum of all qualities). I think the mere
    possibility of this points towards a deep freedom. Maybe we can create
    an sq-world towards a hell, or maybe towards a heaven, or something
    inbetween. There is no determination in this, fundamentally, then, if
    the Sum of qualities is not tied to a universal Law.

    A sidepoint, the assumption that there must be a startingpoint of the
    universe, might not be true. Some cosmologists argue that black holes
    are at 'the other side' big bangs of different universes. In order to
    create black holes in a universe, you need to develop stars. By a
    cosmological natural selection principle, universes creating stars
    creating black holes creating universes, this would 'explain' the many
    stars in our galaxy spinning around a black hole, and the numerous other
    stars in this universe. So maybe the Big Bang was just a birth of one
    universe in many, like many human beings are getting born every hour
    (some in a hell, I'd say, many others thankfully not).
    Anyhow (don't know if Yale is still around, I think not?) there might
    not be a beginning of Everything at all. If this is true, hurray,
    infinity is in our very eyes every moment of our lives.

    Anyone interested in a meta-metaphysics (of universes)? ;-)

    Greetings, Patrick.