Re: MD Intellectual level - New letter from Pirsig

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 17:49:06 BST

    Hi DMB

    This is fine. It is certainly clear that a certain new type of behaviour
    occurs
    when people become able to manipulate symbols, this becomes increasingly
    abstract, it opens up reality for people in amazing ways in terms of a
    more complex and richer future, full of more and more possibilities, and in
    terms
    of creating a story about the past and understanding why certain
    possibilities do
    not exist for us. This can be told in terms of the SQ we have to live with
    and the
    DQ possibilities that now lie before us. But prior to symbol manipulation
    there
    has been a lot if intelligent activity that has not used symbols. Especially
    when
    you realise that all the perceptual contents of our experience have
    many-language
    like qualities, beginning with the ability to differentiate between aspects
    of our
    experience, e.g. what is or is not food. Non-intellectual tigers can do
    this.
    If we assume that man had rituals before language, then quite complex forms
    of differentiation could occur, although we can talk about full symbolic
    abstaction
    only with the full emergence of langauge and hand-in-hand with this the
    individual.

    Regards
    David M