Re: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part III

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 18:52:36 BST

    Hi Matt

    I think I can see where you are at, and I can assure you that
    there is another place to be. You are giving us the
    US/Rorty/pragmatist -style
    of post-modernism, but there are other ways of considering morality in a
    post-
    Heiderggerian, post-Derrida context. I think one of these for example is
    Levinas,
    another is Charles Taylor, another is Jean-Luc Marion. Sure argumentation,
    static
    patterns of analysis, vocabularies are pretty essential to the way we can
    talk about
    and value aspects of our experience. For you pragmatists you want to leave
    it there,
    there is simply a choice between vocabularies, but how do you choose between
    them?
    For me, there are various sources of value that appeal to aspects of our
    experience that
    do not sit easily in any of the vocabularies we currently have. They make us
    uncomfortable,
    they saturate our experience, they are a kind of holy terror, where we
    intuit that our
    concepts are failing us, where we intuit that we lack understanding, or that
    our concepts lack
    something, that they do not grasp the phenomenon. The concept of DQ is
    substantially
    a negative concept, in the way that god is in negative theology. This is
    because DQ is Pirsig's
    way of pointing to the transcendent, what is beyond the horizon of our
    conceptual grasp.
    In fact our conceptual tools are very limited. Because of SOM they are only
    really happy handling
    objects, yet our experience is full of things that are not objects: other
    people, love, time, death, etc.
    All there things are linked to DQ and this link makes them hard to deal with
    using forms of analysis
    that are almost entirely designed to handle SQ patterns or objects. DQ for
    me is an aspect of our
    human authenticity, as individuals we face a unique set of possibilities,
    and we are unable to either
    turn away from the given set we possess (I never did have a chance of being
    a space man) or from
    the anxiety of having to choose (eat the cake or not), or from other people
    (my wife wants to eat the last
    cake too!). In the end a question of freedom. Such are we human beings. The
    Nazi can deny it, but in
    his or your very denial you confirm what I believe about human freedom. This
    is my vocabulary and
    I think it matches with our human experience better than a pragmatists: I
    have an ontological position, the
    pragmatists has unstated ontological assumptions (that you can choose
    between vocabularies) and this
    gives me something firmer to bang the Nazi over the head with, to encourage
    him to believe me when I
    say I do not have to agree, and even under threat of death we can make our
    Byronic stand.

    regards
    David M