RE: MD What is a person?

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 19:32:37 BST

    Hi folks, i'm back from my trip.

    This is a question I ponder a lot. I would say a person is a point of
    consciousness, located morally in morality in what we call a person and
    conscious of what that person would be conscious of, given its location in
    morality. Moral patterns produce ideas of a surrounding outside world, and
    at the same time the consciousness (and person) that "has" the idea,
    according to the strength and quality of the patterns, as measured by all
    the individual consciousnesses together. Ponderous?

    >dmb says:
    >As I understand it, Static patterns can't "respond directly" to DQ

    What does respond to DQ then? What else is there?

    >The mainstream Christian tradition puts a great deal of stress upon
    >the individual's personal salvation and otherwise takes personhood quite
    >seriously. Contrasted with the East, where there is no self, the difference
    >is quite stark.

    Mainstream Buddhism also puts a great deal of stress on personal "right"
    behavior and personal attainment of Nirvana, which is attained in both east
    and west when one realizes that there is no self and sees the sovereignity
    of God. I think contrasting religions is a divisive activity. It's so much
    more fruitful to see what they have in common.

> [...]
    >personality as being
    >the transition between a level 3 stable pattern of values (the 'social
    >self', or possibly the ego)
    >and the realm of level 4. ...We just place that dissolution at different
    >points on the scale.
    >
    >dmb says:
    >Hmmm. No, I'm pretty sure Pirsig's idea of matches the great religious
    >traditions and sees it as, not a transition between the 4th level and DQ,
    >but a dissolution of all static patterns. You know, be a dead man and all
    >that. The unmediated experience is one that lets go of whatever static
    >patterns hold the self together. Its the ultimate emptying out of one's cup
    >so that one is naked or transparent or something. So I think it doesn't
    >matter which point of the scale, because the whole deal is supposed to go
    >away for a while.
    >
    >Sam says:
    >In other words, I think it is true and accurate to say that there is no
    >'thing' - understood
    >in SOM terms as a scientifically describable entity - which corresponds to
    >the mind. However I do
    >think that there is a stable pattern of values - a person in all their
    >infinite variety and
    >stability, of habits, language, culture and personality - which is both a
    >source of independent
    >judgement and open to dynamic evolution at a higher level than that of
    >society, which can in fact go
    >off on purposes of its own.
    >
    >dmb says:
    >As a fellow Westerner I defininately know what you mean. Nothing is harder
    >than giving up the sense of self. And most of the time it would be wildly
    >immoral and irresponsible to do so. But, as I understand it, that sense of
    >self is exactly the #1 obstacle to "enlightenment". That's why we must die,
    >must be "born again" and all that. One of the reasons I liked the film LAST
    >TEMPTATION OF CHRIST was that it showed the anguish involved in having to
    >give up nothing more nor less than a "normal" life. The most tempting thing
    >of all, the temptation that nearly compelled him off the cross was nothing
    >more grandiose than a normal family life, with a house, a wife and
    >children.
    >Campbell describes this as the temptation of "the blandishments of the
    >world". But if desire is the cause of all suffering and the goal is to
    >extinguish desire and let go of all attachments, then surely the desire to
    >have a normal life is to be extinquished too. Its radical, I know. But I
    >think that's what it says.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >dmb
    >

    >MOQ.ORG - http://www.moq.org
    >Mail Archives:
    >Aug '98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/
    >Nov '02 Onward - http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html
    >MD Queries - horse@darkstar.uk.net
    >
    >To unsubscribe from moq_discuss follow the instructions at:

    See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now
    FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com