Re: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part III

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 02:23:48 BST

    Platt,

    > Before replying to your latest post would you help clarify your meaning
    > of Truth (capital T) for me by answering the following:
    >
    > Is the "the logic of contradictory identity," which is central to your
    > philosophy, a Truth.

    No, it is a logic, that is, a pattern of thinking. I do like to think that
    (mythically speaking) when God thinks according to this logic, universes get
    created, but that is pure speculation, and so I would not call it Truth. For
    one thing, it is almost surely wrong due to my limited viewpoint. That is,
    as conscious evolves, what appears to me now as contradictory identity may
    come be seen in a very different way.

    In short, my meaning of Truth assigns it to the same place that Pirsig
    assigns Quality: beyond definition. Defined truths are always small 't', and
    that includes any truth value of this sentence.

    - Scott