Re: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part III

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 14:57:31 GMT

    Scott,

    Platt (previously)
    > > But, you say that sure-fire methods already exist for distinguishing
    > > the true from the false. If they are 'sure-fire,' they must be
    > > unshakable and foundational, right? Or, are the methods that already
    > > exist subject to change by one group or another as Rorty would have us
    > > believe?

    Scott:
    > Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't intend to say that the
    > methods that exist are sure-fire. They are subject to change, according
    > to how well they work. Different methods work well or poorly depending
    > on how well they are suited to the particular problem. Do you know of a
    > method that always works in every situation? Do you not think that they
    > should change if they don't give good results?

    The problem with pragmatism as I see it is the lack of a moral system
    or structure that can determine whether something works well or poorly.
    Without such a moral structure, how do you know when methods get "good
    results?"

    > If a "group" decides to change a method, who is going to stop them? I
    > really don't see the significance of that last sentence. Of course you
    > are referring to "whatever society lets us get away with", but what is
    > your alternative?

    Are you proposing rule by majority without any protection for rights of
    the minority, especially a minority of one? The alternative, of course,
    is protection for minority views, free speech, etc.

    > > So you believe that small t truths are determined by scientific
    > > methods rather than "useful vocabularies" or "linguistic conventions"
    > > as Rorty claims?
    >
    > By all sorts of methods, scientific being one of them, when the question
    > under consideration fits the method. Some things are true because one
    > has never questioned them, and they would come under the heading of
    > linguistic convention or final vocabulary or some such.

    Can you give some examples of things that are true because no one has
    ever questioned them?

    > > Does Rorty say we possess a sense of value and truth like a sense of
    > > sight and taste? Pirsig does.
    >
    > I hope Pirsig understands that a sense of value or truth has a radical
    > difference from those of sight and sense, in that the latter are
    > mediated by the body and the former are not. But since Pirsig wants to
    > treat 'subject' like 'object' (all SQ) he probably would minimize that
    > distinction. I don't.

    I think one's senses of truth and beauty are as much "mediated" by the
    body as the other senses. I'm sure you've heard of "gut feelings." But
    admittedly, I not sure what you mean by "mediated."

    > What argument are you going to give when somebody says "it is not
    > self-evident that all men are created equal"?

    Present the evidence of success of a country whose ideal is such.

    > > Like science cannot deny Quality, philosophy cannot deny Truth. Or so
    > > a rational, coherent viewpoint would seem to demand.

    > It looks to me like Pirsig would disagree with you. If one isn't going
    > to seek it (in the sense of trying to come up with a definitive
    > statement), then why can't a philosopher deny it? Or rather, to neither
    > affirm nor deny. Why not be willing to settle for small 't' truths, as I
    > think Pirsig would characterize the MOQ?

    I think Pirsig characterizes "Quality" in the MOQ as big T Truth. My
    point is behind every assertion of a small t truth is a big T Truth.
    The assertion "It's true that there are only small t truths" is a big T
    truth. You cannot deny Truth without asserting it.

    Platt