RE: MD Self-consciousness

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 14:54:55 GMT

    Hi Paul and Scott,

    Paul said to Scott: "The reification of Dynamic Quality is something I think Pirsig tries to avoid throughout Lila e.g. when he discusses latching and degeneracy in several contexts."

    While reading Antmcwatts thesis, Pirsig says in an email to Mcwatt (2001) anwering former moq_discuss member John Beasley's criticisms of the MOQ which are similar to Scott's (as far as I can tell). Beasley said:

    "[Pirsig]loses the value of his core term, 'quality', by equating it with too many other terms, and ultimately reifying it; while at the same time asserting that quality cannot be defined, and ignoring the paradox."

    To which Pirsig replies (to Mcwatt):

    "To reify means to regard an abstraction as if it had a concrete or material existence. You don't lose the value of quality by treating it as if it had a concrete or material existence. You lose the value of quality by treating it as if it had only an abstract existence. That is a fundamental point of the MOQ. Beasley's unease is caused by an inability to understand this basic assertion of the MOQ. He assumes it is in error because it contradicts his prejudices but never explains why his prejudices are superior."

    From the above quote it does NOT seem like the reification of quality is something Pirsig is trying to avoid. I am not sure how exactly this relates to your discussion, but I would be interested in your comments on the above quote. One comment I would make is that Pirsig might have been better served by using Rorty or Matts terminology for the last sentence. "Begging the question" seems to be a better phrase than calling another's assumptions "his prejudices." But, of course, the discussion is always open on whose assumptions are superior.

    Thanks,
    Andy