Re: MD Self-consciousness

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 22:24:26 GMT

    Scott:Yes, I say we are simply changing
    experience, that using abstract concepts is -- in a way -- moving us closer
    to Reality.

    DM: When Pirsig suggests we use MOQ instead of SOM this is exactly
    what he is doing. But if ideas=reality I assume you are a Platonist, so
    you why don't you reject the whole of Pirsig?

    Scott:What abstraction has to offer is its primoridal existence. That --
    since in
    > our nominalist age we tend to denigrate abstract ideas in favor of
    kickable
    > stones -- we should learn to think in reverse, that stones exist in order
    > express ideas, not that ideas exist to describe stones. (Eventually, via
    the
    > logic of contradictory identity, this last too needs deconstruction, but
    one
    > step at a time.)

    DM:Well, in that case maybe I am ahead of you!

    regards
    David M