RE: MD When is an interpretation not an interpretation?

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 18:06:33 GMT

    Scott, Matt and all:

    Scott said:
    I believe Rorty calls himself a nominalist, but I can't remember where. In
    any case, the general idea that language was created as a tool for coping
    with the environment is a nominalist one, and as I recall, the first chapter
    of Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature is in part to dispose of the
    hypostatization of universals, as part of a general attack on the notion of
    the reality of the immaterial.

    dmb says:
    The following is Rorty's definition of "the liberal ironist". It comes from
    his Contingency, Irony, Solidarity". (Not that I've read it.) As you'll see,
    it depends upon nominalism....

    "I borrow my definition of "liberal" from Judith Shklar, who says that
    liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing we do. I
    use "ironist" to name the sort of person who faces up to the contingency of
    his or her own most central beliefs and desires-someone sufficiently
    historicist and nominalist to have abandoned the idea that those central
    beliefs and desires refer back to something beyond the reach of time and
    chance."