Re: MD what is life?

From: Trivik (trivik@stwing.upenn.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 23:17:29 GMT

    > 'How would you ... define "life"?
    > Seems quite easy to me: patterns of matter that reproduce themselves
    > (distinction from inorganic level) by means of 'hard-wired' (instinctual,
    > hormones, nerves, enzymes etc. directed) behavior rather than by means of
    > copied behavior (distinction from social level) or motivated behavior
    > (distinction from intellectual level).

    well inorganic crystals fit your description. they reproduce themselves ny
    means of....

    as do genes themselves, but you may say that they are alive - how about a
    virus - fits your description, though it is not alive.

    you have not said how it reproduces itself - presumably it is aloud some
    interaction with paterns outside of itself. and sometimes, life can only
    exist with special neighbourhood patterns. say you had an infinite line of
    dominos. you (god) drops the first one - this falling domino is our
    pattern - partway through it reproduces itself, i.e. another falling
    domino. ergo falling dominos are alive ? (no motivation what soever
    involved once the correct enviroment has been set up - remove enviroment
    or take a man to pluto to stay withouth further changes in neigh patt,
    and life simply dies)