RE: MD When is a metaphysics not a metaphysics?

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 14:11:25 GMT

    Hi Matt

    More questions. Please keep going, it's getting interesting :-)

    Paul said:
    Even during our discussion, there is a difference between making a
    distinction between e.g. "fish" and "not-fish" and making a causal
    relationship out of the distinction between "the world" and "belief." I
    would suggest that there is nothing "useful" about identifying that the
    world causes me to have beliefs, the beliefs are useful or not on their
    own. If pragmatists don't want to play metaphysics, perhaps they should
    stop making general statements about fundamental causal relationships
    ;-)

    Matt:
    Fundamental causal relationships. I don't get it. The pragmatist's
    "general statements about fundamental causal relationships" aren't
    really philosophical in the way that metaphysicians want our general
    statements to be. They are supposed to look like facile common sense
    for a reason.

    Paul:
    But here on this forum, "common sense" is the very thing we are
    disputing, among other things.

    Matt:
    Pragmatists think that the tiger is real. We have no problem with
    saying that a real tiger caused us to have a belief in the tiger. No
    metaphysics within a mile for the reasons I've stated.

    Paul:
    Using statements like "We have no problem with saying that a real tiger
    caused us to have a belief in the tiger" in a philosophy discussion
    group because it is common sense is a bit like arguing with a string
    theorist that "of course there are only three dimensions, that's just
    common sense." It just kills the process of inquiry. I suppose you would
    rather we just talked about politics? :-)

    Paul said:
    What if a metaphysics states that the evaluation of "handiness" that
    selects your assumptions is primary empirical reality?

    Matt:
    I'd say that the metaphysics is still brokering on the
    appearance/reality distinction for some sort of philosophical
    legitimacy...

    Paul:
    If value is reality and everything is either static value or Dynamic
    value then everything is real, thus the appearance/reality distinction
    disappears.

    Matt:
    ...and that it should just drop the notion of a "primary empirical
    reality," and therefore of metaphysics, so that it would no longer have
    what is common to both Plato and Kant.

    Paul:
    To what benefit? Democritus and Stephen Hawking both talk about "atoms"
    but this does not reduce Hawking's physics to that of Democritus.

    Paul said:
    Where does this leave physical reality, is there only "talk of physical
    reality"?

    and

    What I'm saying is that you seem to be making the assumption that words
    are only ever about more words, including the world that you are
    claiming causes you to create words and beliefs.

    Matt:
    The pragmatist is making the claim that words only hook up to other
    words, that the only thing that gives a word cognitive meaning are other
    words. This leaves physical reality right where it was--about to devour
    me unless I run away from it.

    Paul:
    "This leaves physical reality right where it was..." - where was it?
    According to which theory of physical reality?

    I get it - come on Paul, we all know what a tiger is etc....

    Matt:
    You are still trying to fit me as an idealist, but the difference
    between the idealist and the pragmatist is that idealist is still
    hanging onto the Kantian idea of language-as-representative. And
    because of Kant, we no longer think that our language will ever be able
    to represent the world-as-it-is-in-itself, therefore all we know that
    exists are representations or language. That's silly, says the
    pragmatist. I'm quite sure that the tiger exists. What the pragmatist
    does is clear away the conceptual debris that would lead us to such an
    absurd view. He suggests that we think of language as a tool with which
    to cope with things like the tiger. With this image, its no problem to
    think that language only hooks up with language, just as our arm only
    hooks up with us.

    Paul:
    Except that I can grasp specific things with my hands, and the things I
    can grasp are constrained by the size of my hands. Isn't that a perfect
    analogy to language hooking up with specific perceptions? Also, I
    thought nothing constrained the use of language.

    Paul said:
    So you're saying that language alters perception about as much as limbs
    do?

    Matt:
    That's a good question. No, the pragmatist agrees with the
    representationalist that our language changes the way we perceive the
    world. But because of the metaphor the reprsentationalist is using, he
    gets the idea that we can peel off our language and see the way the
    world really is. Instead, pragmatists insist that there is no way to
    peel off the human from the inhuman.

    Paul:
    Agreed, but "human" does not equate to "language." We are born with
    limbs but we are not born talking. There was a period of our lives when
    we had no language yet we still perceived, do pragmatists think this is
    permanently lost as soon as we begin to speak? This is where the
    immediately apprehended aesthetic reality of the orient comes in and
    where Dynamic Quality comes into the MOQ.

    Matt:
    The representationalist says that the language we use is like a pair of
    tinted glasses--what we see changes depending on what tint we use.
    Well, the pragmatist says the same thing, except that the metaphor
    becomes the language we use is like a tool we use to eat our steak--what
    we do changes depending on what tool we use.

    Paul:
    Previously you wrote:
    "Pragmatists think that instead of thinking of language as analogized to
    a glass that we look through, like a tinted lens that colors and helps
    constitute what we see, we think of language as analogized to an arm or
    leg"

    But now you say you do see language as a tinted pair of glasses except
    we can also do the linguistic equivalent of eating steaks with it.
    Reversing the analogy, knives and forks don't seem to me to mediate
    perception; at least, to the extent that they do, I can easily put
    knives and forks down when I don't want them.

    Paul said:
    The MOQ says that Quality creates beliefs about a pre-existing physical
    world. Pragmatists seem to be saying that a pre-existing *physical*
    world causes pragmatic beliefs, of which the pragmatic belief about a
    pre-existing world is one such belief and round and round it goes until
    the pragmatist says "but we're only having a discussion, I don't do
    metaphysics..." and continues to successfully dodge tigers :-)

    My suggestion to Matt is that if "the world" is understood as value
    (which is fundamentally prior to and neither physical nor mental) the
    circularity is avoided. Both the physical (objective) world and
    (subjective) beliefs are encompassed in a larger framework of value
    which still retains the pragmatic assumption of a pre-existing physical
    world. But to assert this is a metaphysical claim which pragmatists
    avoid like the plague.

    Matt:
    Ah, I see. You think I'm making an ontological claim, as if I'm a
    metaphysical materialist. Pace Scott, pragmatists see a difference
    between metaphysical materialism (which is included under Scott's
    'nominalist' epithet) and their own non-reductive physicalism (which is
    not).

    Paul:
    Apologies if you've defined this before, but what is non-reductive
    physicalism? I thought "physicalism" was defined by being "reductive."

    Paul said:
    My point was more that pragmatists say they only hold beliefs that are
    useful and don't see the point in purely metaphysical claims. I was
    suggesting that as beliefs can be considered useful or not regardless of
    how they are "caused," pragmatists need not make such claims as "the
    world causes us to have certain beliefs" and thus leave metaphysicians
    to it.

    If you have demonstrated a practical use for such beliefs then my
    argument is a poor one.

    Matt:
    This is where it is helpful to think of the pragmatist as espousing
    facile common sense, rather than a sophisticated analysis of "causal
    pressure". Because it is sometimes helpful to know what caused your
    belief in the existence of the tiger in front of you--was it a tiger, or
    was it the acid you ingested?

    Paul:
    Is it fair to say that pragmatism avoids being a metaphysics by simply
    referring to common sense for its basic assumptions about the world? If
    so, didn't the core of western common sense (substance, matter) begin
    with Plato and Aristotle?

    Cheers

    Paul