MD It is ALIVE!!

From: Nathan Pila (pila@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 21:06:31 GMT

    David,

    I know that there are some people who want to say that the earth is alive.
    But for me, I would say it is not alive. One of the attributes of living
    creatures is intentionality. That is, in a living organism, there is
    something other than matter. There is for lack of a better word, something I
    will call "WILL". Something that is alive has some autonomy and can violate
    rules if it so chooses to.

    I may have a thousand reasons to do X; it may be in my best interests and
    yet decide to do Y just because I want to. The earth is just is; it sits
    there and is acted upon.

    Do you agree with any of this?

    Nathan