Re: MD I believe; you believe

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 22:55:48 GMT

    Hi Steve,

    You answered Nathan thusly:
    > > Nathan:
    > > In my mindset, there are no ghosts, or spirits or an anthropomorphic
    >God, or
    > > angels, devils, heaven or hell; there is no morality, no standard of
    >conduct
    > > that is 'correct' and no reward for the righteous and no punishment for
    >the
    > > wicked. "What you see is what you got". Life is for a finite period and
    >when
    > > you die, you disappear as an individual. The flowers and rocks will not
    >miss
    > > you although your friends and family might.
    >
    >I agree with all of that. I don't believe in gods or "special powers" or
    >anything outside of experience.

    You ask Nathan to consider where the definitions to things like "life",
    "matter", "energy" and "better" fit in his two catagories of matter and
    energy. But where do you see them fitting, seeing as you say you agree with
    him that there is no morality? Perhaps if he had used a capital M and thus
    invoked Quality, you wouldn't have agreed(?). Because surely there all
    those things, just as there is "better" and "matter" and "energy". They
    exist as ideas, including the ideas of right conduct and an anthropormophic
    God. And ideas exist in Morality, in Quality. (I suppose Nathan could
    argue that those ideas are a form of energy, like bits in a computer require
    energy to remember things. Energy takes the forms of matter and of ideas?
    I'd be down with that, I think Love is basically an energy, value is
    basically an energy)

    Johnny

    From the hottest toys to tips on keeping fit this winter, you’ll find a
    range of helpful holiday info here.