Re: MD When is a metaphysics not a metaphysics?

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 18:57:42 GMT

    Matt

    But the problem with the non-philosophically sophisticated
    voting public is not their pragmatist common sense, which is good,
    but their shallow materialist or religious dogmatism. The two fall
    back postions for those that have been excluded from gaining anything
    worth calling an education. All supported by scientific materialism and
    hopeless reductionism, consumerism, command-style economic production
    and social inequality and community destruction and trivial and exploitative
    media
    entertainment. Mankind has lost its dignity and ambition and pragmatism is
    not
    especially likely to help. Pirsig, maybe a little. One hope is that we soon
    acquire a
    so-called theory of everything in the physical sceinces so that we become
    certain
    about the inevitable failure of the reductionist project, so that we know
    the limiitations
    of this project. Other hopes, well maybe the information age is making
    inequality less
    easy to maintain. Environmental challenge may also help us to think more
    deeply.
    Maybe, there is something in thinking/culture beyond both religion and
    science.
    Maybe, the last great expanding empire will finally have to accept that the
    world is finite
    and therefore so is the capacity to grow and sustain profits. Also the
    informaton age may
    enable greater consciousness to develop. Maybe after reality TV the only way
    is up.
    Anyone else have any hopes?

    regards
    David M