Re: MD Social crisis

From: drose (donangel@nlci.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 01:48:38 GMT

     Hi David and MoQers -

    David Buchanan wrote:

    > Finally, it seems to me that what we have now in the United States is the
    > worst of both worlds. We are slipping back into Victorianism, "in the form
    > of a reactionary right" that is not only destructive of intellectual
    freedom
    > but that also rules by "terror, violence and gang death - the old
    biological
    > might-makes right morality". What we have running things now, the
    > neo-conservatives, are basically Victorian thugs.

    Just curious, David. Why do you suppose the inner cities are ruled by
    "terror, violence and gang death?"
    Please explain to me how neo-con equals Victorian and, given the explanation
    of Victorian values by Pirsig, how does one become a "Victorian thug?"

    "As neo-con godfather, Irving Kristol once remarked, a neo-conservative is a
    "liberal who was mugged by reality". True to that description,
    neo-conservatives generally originated on the left side of the political
    spectrum and some times from the far left. Many neo-cons, such as Kristol
    himself, have Trotskyite roots that are still reflected in their polemical
    and organizational skills and ideological zeal." - Jim Lobe, writing in Asia
    Times

    Neo-cons are no more conservative socially than Bill Clinton. In fact, they
    generally supported Clinton's military exploits. Unless by "Victorian thugs"
    you mean Euro-style social democrats, you mischaracterize neo-conservatives.
    They are more akin to your side of the political spectrum.

    How do you see the US slipping back into Victorianism, and what is the
    alternative latch if the impending social crisis is to be managed?

    Peace to you all,

    Don