Re: MD Capture of a Tyrant

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 19:59:39 GMT

    Hi Platt,

    Platt said:
    > I'm amazed that anyone interested in philosophy, especially the MOQ with
    > its major premise of freedom being the highest good, would come to the
    > defense of the likes of Mao, Stalin, Hitler and Saddam.

    Steve:
    Since DMB generally only posts on weekends, I'll come to his defense. I
    have never heard DMB say anything good about Mao, Stalin, Hitler, or Saddam.
    I guess it is not surprising that those who criticize the "with us or
    against us" rhetoric would be lumped in with those "against us." On the
    other hand, it *is* surprising to see this behavior in a philosophy
    discussion group.

    Regards,
    Steve

    "Our National Dialogue on Terrorism" From Al Franken's new book:

    Why do they hate us?

     "They hate us because they are evil."

    Thatıs it, huh? Thatıs the entire story?

    "Yes. Theyıre evil and they hate us because of our freedoms."

    I know theyıre evil. I was just thinking that maybe if we
    understood what specifically seemed to trigger the­

    "Why are you apologizing for the terrorists?"

    Iım not. Theyıre evil. You have no quarrel there. Itıs just
    that maybe if we understoo­

    "Why are you on the terroristsı side?"

    Iım not! I hate the terrorists. I was just saying that we might
    be able to prevent the next­

    "Three thousand Americans are dead. How can you defend al Qaeda?"

    Believe me, I was not defending them. What they did was horrific
    and inexcusable. Theyıre evil. I was just­

    "Then why are you apologizing for them?"

    Iım not. Iım trying to say that maybe there are lessons we can­

    "Why do you hate America?"