Re: MD Sit on my faith

From: Joe (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 19:54:24 GMT

    On 22 Dec 2003 6:36 AM Khoo writes:

    Enlightenment may not come too on this mailing list - but just as you,
    Platt, Bo and Mark, myself and everyone else signed on, there is a keen
    interest to find out what Pirsig's Metaphysics of Quality could be and how
    it could be acheived. However, each and every discussant or lurker is only
    able to appreciate the Metaphysics of Quality at their own level of
    understanding and preparedness. If only someone would write an "MOQ for
    Dummies".

    But every now and then we are afforded our occasional metaphysical insights,
    flashes of dharmakaya light which Pirsig refers to in Lila Chap 26: " It
    signals a Dynamic intrusion upon a static situation...When there is a
    letting go of static patterns the light occurs. ... The light would occur
    during the breakup of the static patterns of the person's intellect as it
    returned into the pure Dynamic Quality from which it emerged in infancy."

    Hi Khoo and all,

    joe: i am reading WITNESS the autobiography of John G. Bennett. His
    description of a 'dharmakaya light' experience:

    "I was traveling alone to Paris by the Golden Arrow. I had finished lunch
    an hour or so beyond Calais, and was drinking coffee. As I put my cup down
    my attention was deawn to my breathing, and in the brief instant when the
    flow of breath changed from inspiration to expiration, I became aware of
    Eternity. This was the first time in my life that I lived through a
    timeless event: though it is common enough between sleeping and waking to
    have long and vivid dreams that occupy seconds and seem to last for hours.
    This was not at all like a dream--there were no visions, no images, nothing
    happened, not even a thought. It was a state of pure cognition, a luminous
    certainty. The central truth was the imperishability of the will. Body
    perishes, and all the functioins that depend upon the body turn into dreams
    and eventually fade away. Even my very self, my own existence and the
    feeling of 'I' that accompanies it, could endure only for a time. But my
    will was out of time and space, and nothing could destroy it." (p. 276
    paperback edition).

    I accept that enlightenment is possible. The MoQ describes this
    possibility. The state of pure cognition of DQ is a wonder. Bennett uses
    'will' as SQ. Can the cognition of 'organic', 'social', 'intellectual'
    orders be a act of pure cognition, and, therefore, impossible to describe
    without a reference to SQ?

    I am left considering that conscious cannot evolve from the non-conscious,
    the organic from the inorganic, the social from the organic, and the
    intellectual from the social. Who needs descriptions anyway?

     Joe