Re: MD intellectual level

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 16:37:12 GMT

    Hi Bo

    That's fine as long as you are saying
    that the SOM pattern has been dominant
    rather than exclusive. I see Descartes as
    the greatest expression of SOM, and the
    challenges have been coming in ever since.
    Clearly, the value of intellect, the value of the individual,
    the value of SOM have all been about a kind of flight
    and challenge to the collective, hence a challenge
    to myth, religion, conformity. Including political myths
    about hiearchy, inequality, deference. Maybe also sexual myths.
    When you think how briefly we have been trying to pick
    up where the Greeks left off, we have probably hardly
    made much of a start. I see science as being nihilistic in Nietzsche's
    sense, i..e. full of the anxiety of having lost the security of the theistic
    conception. That anxiety has been expressed in the quest for certainty
    based on a reductionist search for substance. The failure of this project
    may well be the most significant turning point for our culture.
    I suspect Pirsig is not going to prove to be much of a breakthrough.
    He may get more recognition after the turn has been made, it does not look
    like Pirsig is going to have a really big impact. It is only really science
    that
    has the cultural status to have a big impact on popular consciousness I
    suspect. I think he key term may turn out to be agency rather than quality.
    I think science is starting to face up to some of the issues Pirsig raises
    when it tries to tackle cosmic evolution, the openness of systems,
    chaos, conscious systems, TOEs, nature of laws, etc. The only other
    driver for change maybe the fallling down/away of capitalism, and the
    return of politics and the need to make decisions about what is the
    best life (but this may still be 100s of years away).
    Currently people only think about values in terms of the sort
    of private lives they want to lead, there is little consideration about
    public
    ends. I think Sam is right to question the manipulation of symbols
    expression
    because clearly the symbols have to be valued and connected to activity.
    The use of symbols in an intellectual way clearly requires the DQ of the
    subject
    to be involved. When we say object we must be implying a pattern with SQ.
    Therefore when we recognise the DQ are we therefore necessarily referring
    to activity and therefore some form of subject? Of course, we can cut out
    this
    language and attempt to talk only about DQ/activity and SQ/repetition. Still
    a good idea I think. For me intellectual level means activity that is
    performed
    using the power/value of intellectual SQ in an individual and
    deliberate/conscious
    manner. When you go down the levels you still get forms of intended and
    deliberate activity but not at an individual level. I can't help thinking
    that the
    4th level is all about the capacity for individual activity (and intllectual
    patterns
    help make this possible).

    regards
    David M