Re: MD intellectual level

From: skutvik@online.no
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 12:41:41 GMT

    Matt & Multitude.

    On 3 Jan. you wrote:

    > > Bo said:
    > > From pre-historic times humans have constructed world-views - it's
    > > the human hallmark - but these we call myths because they were not
    > > based on OBJECTIVE KNOWLEDGE and this says it all.

    > Matt:
    > What constitutes "OBJECTIVE KNOWLEDGE?"

    I believe that "objective" and "knowledge" mean the same and
    hardly need an explanation. Now to forestall any pointing out from
    you that no arbiter of such exist I hasten to say that this is the very
    core of the Quality Idea. It has removed the metaphysical 'M' from
    the SOM (left it the mere S/O, thus no longer REALITY itself) and
    delivered it to the MOQ whose DQ/SQ divide now is how it really is.
    But even in the reduced role as intellect (as is my opinion!!!!) its
    value is as compelling as the rest of the static hierarchy.

    > Bo said:
    > We know what philosophers Pirsig refers to in his work and (your)
    > Whitehead, Bergson, Heidegger are not among them. And if
    > existentialism can be said to be a parallel or forerunner for the
    > MOQ ...maybe?

    > Matt:
    > Pirsig does refer flatteringly to Whitehead in his reference to
    > Whitehead's "dim apprehension" and I thought Pirsig referenced
    > Bergson once (possibly in his line-up of philosophers that other
    > people said he sounded like).

    After my computer mishap I lost my searchable LILA so I may not
    be accurate on such matters, but what is sure - as in Dan's LC
    Pirsig quote - is that he doesn't regard the MOQ as an outgrowth of
    any previous philosophy.

    > I like to think of existentialism as having some things in common
    > with Pirsig. I have two separate and equally pedestrian accounts in
     my first two essays in the .org Forum.

    Noted

    Bo