Re: MD Measuring values

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 15:11:15 GMT

    Hi Platt,

    I have been at a loss to understand what you meant by quantifying values
    until this post on determining and ranking the greatest people. You seem
    to want to create hierarchies among societies, ideas, people, etc and would
    like a formula for evaluating the same. Was Phaedrus wrong about undefined
    Quality? Maybe he could have written a computer program to feed his
    student's papers into for grading?

    Being a math/statistics teacher, I am very aware of a tendency for non math
    types to seek objectivity by assigning numbers to their subjective judgments
    and then doing some calculations on them. The output of such calculations
    is still subjective, of course. Its a sort of SOM alchemy that is being
    attempted.

    In this case, as far as I can tell, the researcher is using "objective"
    measures. But it is also important to note that the output depends entirely
    on what we've chosen to measure. Such choices of what to measure tend to be
    made based on what is most easy to measure. In my experience the results
    of such formulas tend to have less correspondence with people's ideas of
    what's better and worse than before all the math. At that point what do you
    trust? The numbers or your own judgment?

    Here's how the method goes: First decide who is great, then find
    measurements that correspond with our ideas of who we already know is great.
    When the numbers that work in most cases don't fit our ideas of what is
    great in other cases, we need to add some other measures to our model.
    Ideally at the end of this process we get a mathematical formula that
    produces rankings that match the judgments that we decided on in advance to
    make the model. Have our subjected judgments become objective at this
    point? Of course not. If we had made different judgments from the start,
    we could have come up with a different set of measures to match our
    judgments

    To me, an important point of ZAMM was to help us get rid of the distaste for
    our own taste-the whole subjective/objective problem. What is good and what
    is not good? Do you really need a number to tell you?

    I'd also like to suggest that the case of attempting to measure intellectual
    value is where the postmodernist claim that truth is context dependent is
    important. Some statements are better than others, but statements can only
    be compared within particular contexts. Since we compare inorganic values
    within narrowly defined contexts we can create hierarchies, but until we
    agree on the particular context, we will not be able to decide whether, for
    example, polar coordinates are better than rectangular coordinates any more
    than we can ask without a context whether the number one is better than the
    number three. In the context of the answer to the question "what is one
    plus two?" we can say which is a better answer. Without a context, we
    can't.

    Thanks,
    Steve