Re: MD Measuring values

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 18:11:11 GMT

    Matt:
    To realists and all representationalists everywhere: No, we are not in
    conversation with nature.

    To critical realists and all careful rehabilitators of the conversation
    metaphor: Sure, in your sense we are in conversation with nature.

    Hi Matt
    So you are throwing me this, it is an unfortunate position perhaps, but I'll
    buy it, in fact
    it what I do all the time, different person to argue with use different
    devices, even take
    different positions, it was good enough for Nietzsche, and it is not our
    fault that there
    are so many different people to argue with. So, I'll throw you something
    back, I say
    conversation with nature, but it is probably also fair to say that nature
    causes us to change
    our linguistic practices, not in a deterministic way: human beings are open
    to different possibilities,
    we have to make choices about which linguistic practices we are going to
    adopt, we sort
    of lay these out in front of nature and say you choose, and nature points at
    one, a bit like
    throwing a dice but due to the clear reality of static patterns, we can use
    nature's answers or
    causal response you could say, as indicating that this is the sort of
    response we will get in the
    future when doing something related or more complex. To me this is realism,
    that science is
    about finding linguistic means to 'make sense' and control and appreciate
    the way we relate
    to aspects of experience that are beyond the borders of our identity (i.e.
    world). Of course,
    this is all really our life-world, where our linguistic practices both
    reveal and conceal the
    structures of our experience. I can't understand how realism could be
    anything else. Does anyone
    have a version of realism they wish to put forward that is different?
    Notions of objectivity do not
    make much sense to me.

    regards
    David M