Re: MD Matt's Favorite Antipragmatist Statement

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 21:39:19 GMT

    Hi Matt and Paul -very clear debate, keep it up.

    Matt said: I thought you might take that ethnocentric line. I thought about
    it myself. But the language Pirsig uses still seems too ambiguous, too
    transcendental, too ahistorical, too scientistic.

    DM: Now I am a transcendental realist, and this is pretty close to
    pragmatism, but I feel it enables me to recognise a
    few things you can't as a 'straight' pragmatist (loosen up), such as I am
    happy to accept that the Earth had no life
    on it x million years ago, a fallible belief, but one I am happy to take
    pretty seriously given the other things I believe
    about what you need to support life, I think there is a whole lot of causal
    and acausal stuff going on beyond the current comprehension of human beings
    that perhaps we will get a better understanding of some time, and that
    knowledge can be about discovering deeper layers of causal structures and
    not simply something that just 'works well' for our practices.

    This relates to what you say: " If you are saying simply that the
    "scientific method" is simply the more methodical "application" of what
    people normally do every second of the day on the scientists chosen
    material, then pragmatists would happily agree to such a de-divinization.
    Of course, that means there would be an analogous "literary method," which
    would simply be the more methodical "application" of what people normally do
    every second of the day on the literary critics chosen material. At this
    point it becomes a little silly to speak of a "method." "

    DM: Now to get to deep structures such as gravity you have to do some
    amazing non-normal creative stuff like see how you can relate apples falling
    to planets orbitting. And what is this gravity other than a hidden and
    deeply explanatory causal structure? We accept gravity when it manifests
    itself on our place and the engine stops, and we accept it as abstractly
    present when it explains what keeps us fixed to the ground and not floating
    about. I don't think most scientists are able to work on the basis of
    looking for something useful that 'works', technologists maybe, but they
    seek deeper structures. As a non-essentialist, non-reductionist, I see
    ontologically real and causal things all over the place and not just in some
    kind of forces, atoms or substance. human beings and ideas are causes. I
    shout 'fire fire' convincingly enough and you guys will get out of here,
    well if you were here and not just virtual guys. I have used a couple of
    examples here from Roy Bhaskar's dialectical transcendental critical
    realism, or meta-reality as it now stands.

    regards
    David M
    > Because if a germ evolved into a higher organism than a human it would no
    longer be a germ, it would be an animal or something new.

    > Matt:
    > I thought you might take that ethnocentric line. I thought about it
    myself. But the language Pirsig uses still seems too ambiguous, too
    transcendental, too ahistorical, too scientistic.

    > I don't know, something to think about.
    >
    > Paul said:
    > Science is a formal application of reason. I don't think it is synonymous.
    >
    > Matt:
    > BLeh. Saying "Science is a formal application of reason" is close enough
    to saying the two are synonymous for pragmatists. Pragmatists typically
    think of reason and rationality as the ability to remain conversable or as
    the ability to follow a series of inferences. If you are saying simply that
    the "scientific method" is simply the more methodical "application" of what
    people normally do every second of the day on the scientists chosen
    material, then pragmatists would happily agree to such a de-divinization.
    Of course, that means there would be an analogous "literary method," which
    would simply be the more methodical "application" of what people normally do
    every second of the day on the literary critics chosen material. At this
    point it becomes a little silly to speak of a "method."

    > Paul said:
    > The nature of the conflicts *usually* *seemed* to be clearer.
    >
    > Matt:
    > Sounds good.
    >
    > Paul said:
    > I think he is a pragmatic metaphysician.
    >
    > Matt:
    > I still don't see why we have to live with such a contradiction. If
    humans tend to smooth out contradictions when they come to them, why insist
    on this one? Why stop at this one and say, "Well, that's just the way it
    is." To me it just means you haven't tried hard enough yet. Time has
    smoothed out other contradictions, why should we stop now? (This line of
    questioning being analogous to the line I took earlier with metaphysicians
    hypostatizing current common sense.)