Re: MD SQ-SQ tension/coherence in the drone.

From: Valuemetaphysics@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 01:56:26 GMT

    In a message dated 1/28/04 12:25:09 AM GMT Standard Time,
    mattpoot@hotmail.com writes:

    > I also enjoy listening to the musical variations from India, as well as the
    >
    > rest of Asia. Being trained classically myself, I find that western musical
    >
    > thought, can often attempted to be rigidly defined, both harmonically, as
    > well as theoretically. Although my favourite "classical" (and I use this
    > term loosely) composer is Bach, who exemplifies structured music at its
    > best, his particular fashion (baroque style) somehow attracts me, and his
    > intricate melodic and harmonic developments make a music which is not only
    > extremely challenging and fulfilling to play, but as well as to listen.
    >
    > Now, to get back to the subject of eastern music, I have only recently, and
    > still very rarely, listened to traditional music from various countries in
    > the middle east. The strange tonalities share with asian music, a stark
    > contrast to western music, which I find very exciting and enjoyable.
    >
    > As time is short, I will most likely continue this post at a later date.
    >
    > Matt Poot

    Hi Matt,
    I love Bach also, and he used improvisation around standard works in his
    teaching i believe? This may be a form of SQ-SQ tension as DQ?
    The French jazz pianist, Jacques Loussier has illustrated the cross over
    between Bach and Jazz for decades - and i feel this is due to the inherent Dynamic
    nature of Bach's work?

    Western music has a polar tension between Melody and Harmony, whereas Indian
    Music exhibits a polar tension between Melody and Rhythm - the melodic
    potential is centred around a drone?

    The MoQ gives us a metaphysical description of this wonderful experience
    which could be a basis for a new University course in music aesthetics Matt?

    All the best,
    Mark