Re: MD Quality takes a hit

From: Leland Jory (ljory@mts.net)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 19:42:19 GMT

    On Mar 9, 2004, at 12:47, steve wrote:

    > To Leland; I sit corrected, I think. You obviosly--know a lot more
    > about
    > computers than I do.

    I have to know a lot about computers, I work in IT. Also, I'm a geek
    ;^{)>

    > However, what I meant was that any company is free to
    > produce a superior o.s. and priced lower it would replace windows by
    > the
    > force of the market. If this is not so please explain why if You think
    > will understand it.

    It's easy... FUD. That stands for Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. Those
    three things are the strongest weapon Microsoft has to keep any
    competitor from threatening them. Microsoft, because of their market
    dominance, are able to control the people who make the purchasing
    decisions in many corporations (who usually aren't very tech-savvy) by
    using FUD. "You don't want to buy Acme's operating system, Mr. Bigwig.
    They're an unheard-of company with untested products. We, on the other
    hand, have products which are in use by 95% of the market. Where do you
    want to place your trust?" Ignoring the fact that this is circular
    logic (we control 95% of the market, therefore our products are better
    because more people use them, which makes them better....), this can be
    a very persuasive argument to someone who doesn't know much about
    technology.

    OK, I'm going to try to stay on-topic now. Really.... I am.

    --
    Leland Jory :^{)>
    Cafeteria Spiritualist and Philosopher