MD Definition of 'liberal'

From: Johannes Volmert (jvolmert@student.uni-kassel.de)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 20:53:49 GMT

    Hi MoQers,

    this question is directed more to the American fellows on this platform.
    What I don't really understand concerning American culture in general
    and this election specifically is the use of the concept of 'liberal'.
    To make sure my miscomprehension does not arise from basical
    misunderstanding of the word 'liberal' , I'd looked it up in my foreign
    words dictionary. It says under: 1.(I read this as: most important
    meaning) 'to impose as less as possible restrictions to the individual
    [person]' ... and farther down 'liberalize' : 'to free from [all]
    restrictions', which is what Liberals in Germany - (5-7% support) -
    want; precisely: no government involvement into market/economy.
    The reason to dwell on that is, that I consider it to be as one of
    Pirsigs messages in his two books - as pronounced by most philosophers
    by the way - that an individual should aim at making independant
    choices in all his doings; taking responsibility for what he does. To do
    so he should get rid of - or better - should carefully review his
    opinions to sort out those, that basically stick to the social and not
    the intellectual level.
    Furthermore, Pirsig pleads for a free market in contrast to a guided
    marked. Note that this also fits the definition of what I quoted above
    from my dictonary.

    What I do not understand - and I follow the American press quite
    intensively during the last weeks - why some MOQ-discussers on this
    platform oppose so fervently all people that call themselves 'liberal'!
    This stand does not seem to fit to basical 'Pirsig-standards' IMO.
    Maybe, Platt, you could explain that to me as you seem to oppose very
    much American 'liberals'.

    Regards, JoVo