Re: MD SQ-SQ coherence and the Biosphere.

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 23:49:23 GMT

    Hi Mark,

    I'm going to be tied up for the weekend so won't have time to respond
    completely to your good post. But here's my reaction to your answer to my
    first question:

    > > Mark 18-03-04: Beauty is a coherent patterned relationship with Dynamic
    > > Quality. (9 words).
    >
    > Great. Now I'm confused as to the meaning of 'coherent pattern' because if
    > you mean by 'coherent' something that is 'logical,' beauty is inexplicable
    > in logical terms. If you mean be 'coherent' something that is 'ordered,'
    > then 'pattern' becomes redundant because patterns by definition are
    > ordered. I'm not just being nit-picky for the fun of it; I'm really trying
    > to grasp your concept.
    >
    > Mark: 19-03-04: Sincere thanks for perseverance Platt. I hope it leads
    > somewhere? My dictionary defines 'cohere' as: To be logically or
    > aesthetically consistent. (Variations of this bring in consistency of
    > purpose also, but it's a long quote.) Here we see the terms 'logic' and
    > 'aesthetic' appearing in the same definition. I like this, because for me,
    > logic IS an aesthetically coherent intellectual pattern of value evolving
    > in a relationship with DQ.

    I agree that logic is an aesthetically satisfying intellectual pattern of
    value. But wouldn't it be more accurate to say it evolved as a result of
    DQ's influence on it's creator, Aristotle?

    > Poincaré talks of the beauty of maths, and
    > maths is nothing if not logical? So, no problems there re: the MoQ. If the
    > working definition of beauty becomes, a coherent patterned relationship
    > with Dynamic Quality, then Logic may said to be, a beautiful intellectually
    > patterned relationship with DQ.

    Mathematics is logical, but it's an entirely separate discipline from
    logic. There's symbolic logic that sort of looks like math, but it's a far
    cry from the sort of mathematics physicists use to describe things like
    relativity and string theory. Logic as used in the dictionary definition
    of 'coherence' refers I'm sure to Aristotelian logic, not higher
    mathematics, and thus is a static intellectual pattern whose
    'relationship' with DQ has long since passed. So I would say yes, logic
    may be said to be a beautiful intellectual pattern, but it has no
    relationship to DQ now having remained basically unchanged for a thousand
    years. (Fuzzy logic, a fairly recent intellectual pattern, is also a
    static pattern at this point.)

    I sure I haven't explained myself too well, so please don't hesitate to
    challenge anything I've said. More to come later when I get a chance to
    absorb the rest of your post.

    Best to you,
    Platt