Re: MD quality religion

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 01:17:13 GMT

    >>> Platt: IMHO, the MOQ is atheistic to the core.
    >
    >> Here is my Matt K inspired approach to the atheist question:
    >
    >> Theistius: Are you an atheist?
    >> Moqist: An atheist is one that asserts that there is no God. I make
    >> no
    >> such assertion and do not accept being labeled "atheist."
    >
    > Pirsig denies that one needs faith to explain the world. For quality,
    > no
    > faith is required because you cannot conceive or live in a world in
    > which
    > nothing is better than anything else.

    I didn't mention faith, but Dictionary.com gives the following
    definitions:

    faith

        P   Pronunciation Key  (f

    th)
    n.
            1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a
    person, idea, or thing.
            2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
            3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with
    one's supporters.
            4. often Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as
    secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
            5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
            6. A set of principles or beliefs.

    I think 1,2,3, and 6 may describe your faith in the MOQ.

    > When you deny the necessity to postulate the existence of God, or deny
    > that faith is a valid guide to truth, you're an atheist.

    No need to call me names. It's not my fault there's no God. ;-)

    I don't like the atheist/agnostic/believer categories because I think
    that no matter what I answer, people will get the wrong idea. I've
    tried to articulate that there is a premise behind the God/no God
    question that I don't want to accept by answering it.

    I searched and searched but couldn't find the "Does a dog have Buddha
    nature?" part of ZAMM which is appropriate here. Something like the
    context of the question is too small to contain the answer. A little
    help?

    > "The tests of
    > truth are logical consistency, agreement with experience, and economy
    > of
    > explanation." (Lila-8) Faith need not apply.

    I'm with you in judging faith as a low quality intellectual pattern
    when faith is taken to mean believing in a factual way despite evidence
    to the contrary.

    Regards,
    Steve

    pron.jpg