Re: MD secular humanism and dynamic quality

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 14:45:14 GMT

    Matt K,

    > Platt,
    >
    > However, Pirsig would never say anything remotely like "unbiased
    > acknowledgement of fact."

    Oh, I don't know about "remotely like." Many passages in Lila begin with
    "In fact" like . . .

    "In fact there are two levels of reality beyond those mirrors: an
    intellectual reality, and beyond that, a Dynamic reality." (Lila-20)

    and

    "In fact it was to imitate the effect of hitting someone over the head
    with a baseball bat without the risk of skull injury that Ugo Cerletti
    developed shock treatment in the first place." (Lila-30)

    I could list many more rhetorical references to facts in Lila. Unlike
    postmodernists (like yourself) who believe such nonsensical things like
    "It's a fact there are no facts," Pirsig defines facts, including
    scientific theories, as high quality intellectual patterns in the
    subjective realm.

    And that's a fact. :-)

    > It is exactly our bias as good liberals, having
    > learned from Stalin's mistake, that puts us in a better position than
    >the Russian proletariate of 1917.

    That 'good liberals" are Marxists I have no doubt. Your pal Rorty implores
    us to cooperate to build Oscar Wilde's Marxist utopia which calls for
    eliminating private property, ending the institution of marriage and
    doing away with democracy.

    Are you sure you reject the part of the Humanist Manifesto I quoted in a
    Manifesto says:

    "The humanists are firmly convinced that the existing acquisitive and
    profit-motivated society has shown itself to be inadequate and that a
    radical change in methods, controls and motives must be instituted. A
    socialized and cooperative economic order must be established to the end
    that the equitable distribution of the means of life be possible. The goal
    of humanism is a free and universal society in which people voluntarily
    and intelligently cooperate for the common good. Humanists demand a shared
    life in a shared world."

    What part of that plan for a better world do you object to?

    Platt