Re: MD junk or politics on this list

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 07:30:33 BST

    Dear Platt,

    You wrote 4 Apr 2004 10:02:45 -0400:
    'Since we're all handed a set of cultural glasses, it's not surprising that
    you would view our situation here in the U.S (and vice-versa) differently
    than we do ourselves.'

    Can you recognize that I have been trying to look at both the US and
    Europe/Netherlands without cultural glasses but with descriptions of
    'liberal' and 'conservative' that stay as close as possible to their literal
    meaning instead?

    You ended with:
    'Incidentally, that "Political Compass" that DMB and others have referred to
    is flawed. The lower left quadrant consisting of collectivist anarchists is
    an oxymoron. Political collectivism cannot exist without coercion.'

    The questionnaire constituting the Political Compass
    (www.politicalcompass.org) didn't measure economical 'left' and 'right' (the
    horizontal coordinates) as collectivism versus individualism. The analysis
    attached describes them as state planning of the economy versus deregulated
    economy. Gandhi, Mandela, the Dalai Lama, David B. and I are all somewhere
    in the middle of the lower-left quadrant. We favour some, but not extreme
    individual freedom (anarchy). We favour some, but not all-encompassing state
    planning in the economic realm. Surely the state can plan without coercing?
    If you agree that some taxes are necessary (if only to pay for defense
    efforts), these taxes can be directed to stimulate desirable and
    discouraging harmful economic practices, can't they? What's harmful and
    desirable being determined with democratic methods with all kinds of checks
    and balances that prevent mobocracy, of course.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim