Re: MD What have you freed lately?

From: Matt poot (mattpoot@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 17:05:11 BST

    Platt,

    Just a quick question: Why is freedom in the MoQ a moral force? Would it
    be wrong / worse to associate freedom with things both moral, and out of the
    moral arena?

    Just wondering

    matt

    P.S. to myself, I wonder if i'll get a reply

    >From: "Platt Holden" <pholden@sc.rr.com>
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    >Subject: Re: MD What have you freed lately?
    >Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:00:32 -0400
    >
    >Hi Steve Peterson,
    >
    > > On Mar 30, 2004, at 4:35 PM, Platt Holden wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Dynamic Quality is the pre-intellectual cutting edge of realty, the
    > > > source of all things, completely simple and always new. It was the
    >moral
    > > > force that had motivated the brujo in Zuni. It contains no pattern of
    > > > fixed rewards and punishments. Its only perceived good is freedom and
    >its
    > > > only perceived evil is static quality itself—any pattern of one-sided
    > > > fixed values that tries to contain and kill the ongoing free force of
    > > > life." (Lila-9)
    > > >
    > > > Of all the passages in Lila, none is more significant than this one.
    >It
    > > > describes how Pirsig views the mysterious mystic force he calls
    >Dynamic
    > > > Quality. First, it is a force, an energy, drawing all creatures great
    >and
    > > > small towards betterness. Second, it created and continues to create
    > > > everything new under the sun. Third, its highest good is freedom from
    > > > static patterns.
    > > >
    > > > So I keep asking myself, "What have you freed from a static pattern
    > > > lately?" Unfortunately I can only answer, "Nothing special."
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps in raising two children I’ve had a hand in freeing them from
    >the
    > > > static patterns of childhood dependency. That’s about it, but at least
    > > > it’s something.
    > > >
    > > > What patterns have you broken? What have you set free? How have you
    > > > responded to DQ? Is there a brujo among us?
    > > >

    > > Pirsig had something else to say about freedom in his afterword to ZAMM:
    > > "The hippies had in mind something that they wanted, and were calling it
    > > ``freedom,'' but in the final analysis ``freedom'' is a purely negative
    > > goal. It just says something is bad. Hippies weren't really offering any
    > > alternatives other than colorful short-term ones, and some of these were
    > > looking more and more like pure degeneracy. Degeneracy can be fun but
    >it's
    > > hard to keep up as a serious lifetime occupation."
    > >
    > > DQ puts freedom in a positive light. The DQ/sq split suggests how we
    >don't
    > > necessarily have to speak in negative terms about freedom since freedom
    >can
    > > lead to dynamic improvement. We always knew that there was something
    >good
    > > about freedom. The MOQ helps us to articulate it.
    > >
    > > However, Pirsig's connection between degeneracy and freedom still
    > > applies. Though from the DQ perspective all static patterns are evil,
    > > there is no dynamic improvement without static latching as Leland
    >pointed
    > > out.

> [...]

    MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfee® Security : 2 months
    FREE*
    http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/