Ego-driven Enlightenment? [was Re: MD What have you freed lately?]

From: Leland Jory (ljory@mts.net)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 22:46:45 BST

    Platt Holden wrote:

    >Your emphasis on 'you' being freed from static patterns is still feeding
    >your ego, just as helping others makes 'you' feel good. Those who pursue
    >enlightenment are also padding their egos. To forward evolution, one must
    >free a universal static pattern by creating a new and better pattern to
    >take its place. Often it takes a monumental ego to accomplish that, such
    >as the brujo had in the Zuni story.

    The problem with ego-driven activity is that it doesn't always know when
    to quit. That's why the ego-climber will be more likely to go on when
    exhausted, miss the best path, place his/her feet in the wrong place
    risking injury. It is *always* vital to remain in the 'here and now'. By
    the same token, the creation of new static patterns by an ego-thinker
    may lead to a worse situation than the current one. There are few things
    as nervous-making to me as self-proclaimed 'philosophical leaders' who
    try to convince you that their self-gratifying ideas are good for anyone
    but themselves.

    Sometimes, it is better to be a Very Small Animal.

    >At our present stage of evolution, it is individual egos who break old
    >patterns in significant ways to further the march of freedom towards
    >betterness -- another reason to consider changing the name of the
    >Intellectual Level to the Individual Level.

    Ironically, the new patterns often self-destruct and leave a vacuum
    which less ego-driven thinkers can fill with other patterns. Evolution
    being what it is, there is always a competing way of doing things,
    should the currently dominant way fail.

    --
    Leland Jory :^{)>
    Cafeteria Spiritualist and Philosopher