Re: MD Religion of the future.

From: David Morey (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 18:08:31 BST

    Hi Dave

    Understand your point and agree in principle.
    But I think that it would be more justified to say
    that Sam's views are hard to fit with his Christian
    inheritance than to say that he was weighed down
    and incapable of grasping the MOQ fully. I have
    little doubt that Sam has a good grasp of DQ, most
    people are stuck within an SOM position with no grasp
    of DQ. Might be easier for a non-Christian to get through
    this eye of the needle than a Christian but I would never
    say impossible, the UK Christian tradition is far from literal,
    take our popular Mr Don Cupitt for example.

    Back to general point about 'truth' really. I state my own
    position as critical realist, i.e. I get all that post-modern
    metaphor stuff but am happy to say that a conversation with nature
    occurs, therefore we can make truth claims about what we think
    nature is telling us (even without any natural language, we sort of
    have to persuade nature to become a conversational partner in a language
    we have constructed). But I am less sure what I think about truth outside
    of the context of science. What are your views on truth?

    regards
    David M