RE: MD The Individual Level

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 04:52:20 BST

    Steve said:
    I don't see how it makes sense to say that the biological level literally
    *includes* the inorganic level, but then, I see the levels as types of
    patterns of value.

    dmb replies:
    Biological organisms simply are not possible without atoms, molecules and
    other inorganic patterns! How could it be otherwise? I can't imagine why you
    don't see this simple idea, or what your alternative could possiblely mean.
    I mean, I see the levels as types of values too, but that doesn't keep me
    from seeing that each level contains all the lower ones.

    Steve said:
    Both are included in the whole person since a person is a forest of
    static patterns, but I don't see how the social level is included in
    the intellectual level which I understand as including only patterns of
    thought.

    dmb says:
    The myths, rituals and languages that developed as parts of the social level
    are included in the intellect. Thinking, in the intellectual sense, comes
    only AFTER these social level patterns have evolved and is a necessary part
    of the intellect. We can't exclude social level patterns of values from the
    intellect any more than we can exclude the brain or the atoms of which it is
    made. All levels are included in the fourth. Think about it, Steve. How
    could it be otherwise. Thoughts without language? No way.

    Steve said:
    So it is with Wilber's holon's. I don't see that in Pirsig's levels
    which he says are discrete.

    dmb says:
    Wilber is certainly more detailed and elaborate on the topic, but we can see
    it in Pirsig too. Think of the way he corrects Descartes, insisting that the
    philosopher can think only because French culture exists. Or Pirsig's
    insistence that SOM's mistaken notion that it was born without parents be
    corrected. And even the idea that each level gives birth to the next higher
    one suggests that they are intimately connected. None of this contradicts
    the idea of discrete levels because each new level also brings something
    brand new, something that transcends all that came before. This is the part
    that is discrete, distinctly different and even at odds with all that came
    before.

    dmb had said:
    The MOQ is an evolutionary metaphysics, so the levels ARE levels of
    development.

    Steve replied:
    They are levels of development as an evolutionary hierarchy of types of
    patterns of value. They are not primarily levels of personal development.
    They can be used to inform us about personal development, but that is not
    what they are. ..If you follow Wilber rather than Pirsig, which you seem to,
    you will
    see these levels as levels of development in the evolution of the mind
    rather than in the far broader terms that Pirsig is talking about with
    morals as real as rocks and trees in an evolutionary metaphysics that
    includes rocks, trees, and minds and explains them all in terms of
    patterns of value rather than subjects and objects.

    dmb says:
    You're putting words in my mouth and arguing with yourself. When have I ever
    denied the existence of rocks and trees or morals? Never. In any case, there
    is no contradiction between "personal" development and any other kind of
    evolution. And in cases where we are talking about social and intellectual
    evolution, its nearly impossible to exclude the personal. People are a
    necessary part of the process on those levels and so developmental
    psychology and evolutionary psychology have much to teach us in general and
    so I think Wilber's work can shed lots of light on the MOQ. I really don't
    feel the need to pick one or the other. They fit very nicely without
    contradiction. If anyone knows of any reason to think otherwise, I'd like to
    hear it.

    Steve asked:
    I'm asking whether when you say a person is, for example, on the social
    level, are you saying that the person is literally a social pattern of
    value? Or like Platt, are you saying that the person is dominated by
    social value patterns?

    dmb answers:
    Actually, I thought DaveS's suggestion was good. Prominent is probably a
    better word than "dominated". Even better, I like to think that each of us
    has a center of gravity, a bell curve, that sits somewhere on a continuum.
    Cultures and nations are like that too. Both are very complex creatures, but
    we can detect where its at, so to speak. No, I don't mean that "people are
    literally a social pattern". I can't even imagine what that is supposed to
    mean, let alone believe it. And I should add that my confusion here has
    nothing to do with a neo-praggies refusal to do metaphysics. Its much more
    simple than than. I just don't understand what you're saying when you use
    Pirsig key terms like levels, patterns and values. I'm not even sure what
    you mean by the word "literal".

    Steve said:
    I see Pirisig's levels as describing what everything is, where you seem to
    see them as describing what people value.

    dmb says:
    No, its just that "what people value" can NOT be excluded from "everything"
    that is. And in the MOQ people ARE values. The only question is, what kind?
    Does Lila have quality? There is no easy answer. She seems to have it and
    not have it at the same time, and its really quality that has her. So it is
    with all of us. What kind? What sort? What levels are most conspiciously in
    charge of this person? Yes, this metaphysics is about everthing including
    rocks and trees, but people are more evolved and more interesting than
    stones and bushes. Don't you think?

    Steve said:
    I don't see the MOQ levels as representing people's values but rather
    describing all reality in terms of types of patterns of value and DQ.
    Values are what *everything literally is* according to Pirsig's MOQ,
    not merely what makes a given person tick.

    dmb says:
    Again, you're putting words in my mouth and thereby entering a debate with
    no one but yourself. This is the end of a reply to a question I posed and I
    am no nearer to the answer than I was at the beginning. You've been
    complaining about talking about people in terms of the levels of value for
    as long as I can rememeber, but this objection never made sense to me. Still
    doesn't.

    Again, I can't even say I disagree. Not exactly. I wouldn't yet know exactly
    what I was disagreeing with. Its not a postmodern pose and its not that I
    think you have a bad idea. I don't see the idea at all. Would you care to
    try again with a fresh approach? Don't worry about disputing things I've
    said (or the things you made up and attribute to me). Just please
    concentrate on making your own thoughts clear. (Maybe I can egg you on by
    saying that you should do it just to prove to me that you can make your
    thoughts clear, because I'm very skeptical at this point.)

    Thanks.