Re: MD Morality of deadly force

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 16:43:54 BST

    Hi David, Platt, et al,

    Here's my take on the second quote offered by Platt for my analysis
    and opinion.

    ANALYSIS OF QUOTE 2
    For the purpose of my analysis, I'll divide Quote 2 into three
    distinct ideas. Here they are:

    Pirsig Idea Q2-1) "An evolutionary morality would at first seem to
    say yes, a society has a right to murder people to prevent its own
    destruction. A primitive isolated village threatened by brigands has
    a moral right and obligation to kill them in self-defense since a
    village is a higher form of evolution. "

    msh
    I'm not sure why a small village is necessarily a higher form of
    social evolution than, say, a pirate ship full of brigands. Because
    it doesn't move? Because the pirates are bad guys? It's always
    wrong to steal? Probably. But certainly debatable. Anyway, I get
    and agree with the point; but this sort of statement supports my
    contention that Pirsig sees a secondary moral hierarchy at work on
    the Social/Cultural level.

    A more interesting point here is that the wording of Q2-1,
    particularly the words "at first seem to say", strongly implies that
    there is a big "BUT" coming. Maybe society does NOT have the right
    to murder people. But the quote, as presented, leaves us hanging.

    Happily, we can turn to the text in order to complete the thought.
    In the book, two tremendously important paragraphs appear
    immediately after the the original quote. Here they are, with my
    emphasis added:

            "When a society is not itself threatened, as in the execution of
    individual criminals, the issue becomes more complex. In the
    case of treason or insurrection or war a criminal's threat to a
    society can be very real. But if an established social structure is
    not seriously threatened by a criminal, then an evolutionary morality
    would argue that there is no moral justification for killing him.

            "What makes killing him immoral is that a criminal is not just a
    biological organism. He is not even just a defective unit of
    society. Whenever you kill a human being you are killing a source of
    thought too. A human being is a collection of ideas, AND THESE IDEAS
    TAKE MORAL PRECEDENCE OVER A SOCIETY. Ideas are patterns of value.
    They are at a higher level of evolution than social patterns of
    value. Just as it is more moral for a doctor to kill a germ than a
    patient, SO IT IS MORE MORAL FOR AN IDEA TO KILL A SOCIETY THAN IT IS
    FOR A SOCIETY TO KILL AN IDEA."
    (LILA-13, HB pp 160-161)

    msh
    So, by expanding the original quote to include the ensuing
    paragraphs, we get a dramatically superior depiction of Pirsig's
    thought. There's no need for dissection here; I agree with these
    ideas completely, with one quibble. People with powerful ideas
    critical of an established society will often find themselves at odds
    with that society's laws, even to the point of technical criminality.
    This is the very essence of civil disobedience, which can be, and
    often is, construed as a threat against "an established social
    structure." I think that an evolutionary morality would argue that
    any action emerging dynamically from the free flow and interaction of
    ideas will take moral precedence over a society, no matter how well
    established, which is to say "entrenched", the society is.

    Pirsig Idea Q2-2) "When the United States drafted troops for the
    Civil War everyone knew that innocent people would be murdered. The
    North could have permitted the slave states to become independent and
    saved hundreds of thousands of lives."

    msh
    Although I agree with this idea, I should point out that here, and in
    idea Q2-3 below, Pirsig is oversimplify the reasons for the Civil War
    in order to make his point; at least, I hope the oversimplification
    is deliberate. The Civil War was about freeing slaves in the same way
    that America's involvement in WWII was about saving Jews. Which is
    to say, not much, an ancillary benefit at best.

    Like any war, the Civil War was the result of actions taken by
    relatively small groups of privileged individuals with conflicting
    economic and power interests, within geographically distinct
    societies. In comparison to the total populations of their respective
    societies, these groups were microscopic in size, yet managed to
    accrue, almost always through inordinate wealth, or violence, or the
    threat of violence, a vastly disproportionate power over the decision-
    making processes of their societies. Once the decision to go to war
    is made, it becomes necessary to generate among the population at
    large a kind of war fervor, to ensure that bodies will be available
    to fight and die. This results in a social environment where
    oversimplifications run rampant: We're fighting to free the slaves!
    We're fighting to save our homeland, our heritage, our lifestyle!

    This sequence of events has occurred countless times throughout human
    history, right up to the present instant. Just look around. Sadly,
    there's no end in sight.

    Anyway, I digress. For anyone who's interested in the actual causes
    of the Civil War, I recommend historian Howard Zinn's treatment of
    the subject in his book "A People's History of the United States."
    For your perusal and verification, and further study, he provides
    numerous citations in support of his ideas.

    Pirsig Idea Q2-3) "But an evolutionary morality argues that the North
    was right in pursuing that war because a nation is a higher form of
    evolution than a human body, and the principle of human equality is
    an even higher form than a nation. John Brown's truth was never an
    abstraction. It still keeps marching on." (Lila, 13)

    msh
    Nothing much to disagree with here. I'll buy it off the rack. I
    particularly like the phrase "the principle of human equality is an
    even higher form [of moral evolution] than a nation." I mentioned
    this in my previous post. Working within the MOQ, such words become
    heavy with meaning: If a nation violates, suppresses, destroys, or
    in any other way impedes or diminishes even a single person's chance
    for equality with his fellow beings, it is MORALLY IMPERATIVE that
    that corrupted nation be destroyed. Tough but true words, I think.

    Ok, so that's my take on Quote 2. Analysis of Quote 3 will follow in
    a day or two, As always, any and all constructive criticism will be
    welcomed.

    Thanks to all,
    Mark Heyman

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'