Re: MD "biological" crime

From: Joe (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 21:34:35 BST

    On 19 May 2004 2:27 PM Mark H writes:

    Mark H:
    In my assertion to ALD, that all crime is biological, I was referring
    to crime in it's more normal use of the word, you know, the sort of
    thing for which society sends you to jail. At least that's the sort
    of crime I thought ALD was asking about. So, insofar as crime of
    that sort is concerned, can you give an example of one that is not
    biological? I mean, assuming that the societal crime qualifies as a
    crime within the MoQ.

    Mark H 16-05-04 In the strictest sense of the MoQ, yes, all crime is
    biological, IMO. But, remember, this has nothing to do with whether or not
    the "crime" is recognized as such by any given society. Some activities
    which do not qualify as crime within the MoQ, may yet be criminalized by a
    society. Similarly, activities that should be criminal, are not always
    recognized as such, and are not formally criminalized. This is why it's so
    important for society's decisions to be influenced by the constant dynamic
    and free exchange and interaction of ideas, even if, in fact PARTICULARLY
    if, those ideas challenge the legitimacy of
    existing societal policy. This is the only way in which societies
    will make moral progress.

    Hi Mark H and all,

    "The tribal frame of values that condemned the brujo and led to his
    punishment was one kind of good, for which Phaedrus coined the term 'static
    good.' Each culture has its own pattern of static good derived from fixed
    laws and the traditions and values that underlie them. This pattern of
    static good is the essential structure of the culture itself and defines it.
    In the static sense the brujo was very clearly evil to oppose the appointed
    authorities of his tribe. Suppose everyone did that? The whole Zuni
    culture, after thousands of years of continuous survival would collapse into
    chaos.

    But in addition there is a Dynamic good that is outside of any culture, that
    cannot be contained by any system of precepts, but has to be continually
    rediscovered as a culture evolves. Good and evil are not entirely a matter
    of tribal custom. If they were, no tribal change would be possible, since
    custom cannot change custom. There has to be another source of good and
    evil outside the tribal customs that produces the tribal change." LILA
    chapter 9.

    joe: i conflated 'crime' and 'evil' and misunderstood your post. I am
    sorry.

    Joe Maurer