Re: MD Noam Chomsky

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 16:48:29 BST

    On 3 Jun 2004 at 15:40, SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    I haven't read Chomsky in years, but I did read "Deterring Democracy"
    from cover-to-cover -- largely because I got fed up with his failure
    to connect cause and effect in any ways that anyone who reads
    newspapers hadn't aldready done.

    msh says:
    Really? Take a look at my previous post where I quote from DD. If
    Chomsky is not bringing to light something not commonly known, how
    would you explain the common ignorance (and I don't mean this
    pejoratively) of the facts he describes? Of course, if you, through
    your reading of newspapers, have already swept well past what Chomsky
    talks about, then great.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    This may be because I was raised with a pretty leftist bias, so
    reading Chomsky was like listening to Dad.

    msh says:
    Sorry about your dad blasting you with leftist bias. This may be a
    good psychological reason for rejecting Chomsky, but an intellectual
    one?

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    My problem with the guy is that he focuses almost exclusively on the
    evils of one actor -- the US. He mentions no other evil actors
    except to show that they work in cahoots with the US.

    msh says:
    This is, of course, a criticism so frequently leveled at Chomsky, and
    so frequently answered by him, that I think, by now, when he hears
    it, he must just sigh and ask what's for supper. I'll try to answer
    for him, for others in this forum who might be interested.

    Briefly, Chomsky has many times criticized other actors: China and
    Tibet (and against its own citizens); Russia and Chechnya. He has
    REPEATEDLY hailed the demise of the USSR as a positive thing for the
    world. It is true, however, that his energy is focused against the
    US and its allies, a fact he doesn't deny and has explained so many
    times, it's hard to understand why someone so well read is unaware of
    his explanations: First, he is a citizen of the US and therefore has
    some influence over the actions of his government. As a US citizen,
    he is morally and patriotically obligated to speak out against the
    actions of his government when such actions are seen to be brutal
    interventionism for no purpose other than the further projection of
    US power, especially as such actions are carried out in his name,
    with his tax dollars, and, if he fails to speak out, with his tacit
    approval.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    Although his critiques of the US are valid, his tendency to view the
    US in this vacuum brings us nothing we don't already know. In Zen
    terms, it is the sound of one hand clapping.

    msh says:
    Of course, a thorough reading of Chomsky would reveal no such
    tendency. And, BTW, the sound of one hand clapping can be the sound
    of a powerful slap against a defenseless cheek.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    The MORALITY statement comes from the MOQ. I see Chomsky's absolute,
    almost Bush-like certainly as part of a biological need we all have
    (in the sense of it being a hard-wired neurological need), and this
    need has two components. The first is what we in Germany call a
    "Feindbild" -- an image of an enemy we can know with certainty is
    evil and against whom we can rally.

    msh says:
    This is of course a tremendous diminution of Chomsky's lifetime of
    work. He sees no single entity as evil; rather, he sees a particular
    ideology, in combination with extreme power, as the source of much
    misery in the world, and therefore something we should try to expose
    and eliminate. It's interesting that someone who has read one NC
    book, and that a long time ago, is able to reduce Chomsky's
    motivation to simple biology.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    Interlinked with this need -- and it is a BIOLOGICAL need rather than
    an INTELLECTUAL need -- is the second component: the desire for an
    ordered, predictable view of the world. Bingo -- Chomsky provides
    that as well.

    msh says:
    Chomsky has so often said that the world of human affairs is anything
    but ordered and predictable, and will never be, that it seems
    unnecessary to comment further. Again, some more reading of NC might
    be in order.

    SWZwick@aol.com wrote:
    Attributing "philosopher" status to Chomsky is, to me, a case of
    putting BIOLOGICAL quality above INTELLECTUAL quality. In the MOQ,
    this is immoral.

    msh says:
    Given your argument above, we can say the same thing of Bertrand
    Russell and many other so-called philosophers. In fact, if your
    argument is correct, then any one who attempts to identify "evil" (a
    sort of childish simplicity, actually), and who desires to bring more
    "order" to the world by trying to expose and eliminate it, is
    immoral.

    You might want to take a look at my recent post, trying to bring the
    MOQ back to the Chomsky thread. The original poster, Anthony McWatt,
    saw some MOQ-like ideas in Chomsky's thought, and, I would venture to
    say, might not agree with your dismissal of him as immoral. You
    might also want to read McWatt's Ph.D. dissertation on the Pirsig's
    Metaphysics of Quality; there's a link at MOQ.ORG.

    SWZwick@aol.com concludes:
    Chomsky does serve a purpose -- basically, he provides a counterpoint
    to those in the US who see America as a perfect shining light for the
    rest of the world. Unfortunately, those people don't listen to
    him....

    msh says:
    I'd certainly say that many who SHOULD read him, don't. This post is
    evidence enough of that.

    Thanks for the feedback,
    Mark Steven Heyman

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'