Re: MD Noam Chomsky

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 21:47:20 BST

    Hi Johnny,

    Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

    On 4 Jun 2004 at 19:02, johnny moral wrote:

    msh said 05/24:
    At best, the only morally justified action is that the people of Iraq
    be allowed to shape their society and culture in any way they see
    fit, not just as seen fit by the US government. That is, when I speak
    of a corrupted society being destroyed, I mean destroyed, in the
    sense of dramatically altered, FROM WITHIN, by the people who live in
    that society. I think Pirsig would argue that a heavy burden of proof
    of the need for societal self-defense rests on the preemptively
    attacking society. As we've seen, in the case of Iraq, nothing even
    approximating any such proof has been presenting.

    Johnny:
    So, it would seem that FROM WITHIN is the key to how you dismantled
    this argument (but I don't see any reference to the MoQ here, so
    maybe I didn't find the right post?). So you are hoping that
    Haliburton will destroy itself from within, I suppose? Do you want
    "authority, hierarchy, and domination in every aspect of life" to
    destroy themselves from within? Or do you want to "challenge them"?

    msh says:
    I was thinking of the MOQ in terms of its pretty clear notion of self-
    defense as the only justification for one organism (or society)
    destroying another. Or for one society to destroy organisms within
    it that threaten the society itself. I can find no justification in
    the MOQ for one society destroying another under any other
    circumstances. Nor can I in Chomsky, though I concede that the short
    quote I offered for comment can be interpreted that way by someone
    who, for whatever reason, is not thoroughly familiar with Chomsky.
    My fault.

    As for Haliburton, et al, I think that, if we can show it to to be a
    threat to the society of which it is a part, then that society may
    legitimately dismantle it. Note that this does not mean that, say,
    China should attack the US, killing 100,000 people, in order to
    dismantle Haliburton for us, and in the process replacing our
    cultural and governmental institutions with ones of its own liking.

    Johnny:
    Clearly, the idea is that Chomsky wants us to "seek OUT" these
    repressive things "in every aspect of life", "to increase the scope
    of human freedom". How can that be read to exclude challenging
    authority in Iraq, or anywhere?

    msh says:
    You are right, if you limit all of Chomsky's thought to what is
    contained in this single quote. Again, my fault for too narrow a
    focus. I believe a wider reading reveals the idea that we should
    focus on ironing out our own wrinkles, before taking it upon
    ourselves to "fix" the governmental and cultural institutions of
    others. And even if one society could be seen to be "perfectly
    moral", there's still the problem of proving self-defense before the
    "perfect society" can morally dismantle another. No?

    Johnny:
    I see nothing in his quote that says to keep it in house, that we
    have to respect boundaries of any type, be they societal,
    international, or heirarchical. ... And I see nothing in his quote
    that says not to do it with bombs and bayonets.

    msh says:
    You're right. There's nothing in this short quote that would
    contradict your interpretation. In Chomsky's 80 books, hundreds of
    formal talks and interviews, thousands of informal talks and emails
    and ink-mails, there's plenty.

    Johnny:
    Now, I can see that in this war, the Giant has increased its coercion
    and control over a huge part of the world, and I don't consider the
    Iraqi people any freer than they were before, nor will I when they
    all have MTV and abortion.

    msh says:
    Yes, and me neither.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    >From: "Mark Steven Heyman" <markheyman@infoproconsulting.com>
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    >Subject: Re: MD Noam Chomsky
    >Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:42:44 -0700
    >
    >Hi all,
    >
    >Yeah it's a good one, all right. So good that Platt is trotting it
    >out again after I used the MOQ to dismantled it last month in
    >another thread. I won't repeat myself, as anyone who wants to can
    >look it up.
    >
    >I'd still be interested in some thoughtful comments.
    >
    >Best to all,
    >msh
    >

    >On 4 Jun 2004 at 15:26, johnny moral wrote:
    >
    >Platt:
    > >Glad to see Chomsky's eloquent justification for invading Iraq.
    > >
    > >Platt
    >
    >Good one, Platt! I hadn't thought about that when I read that
    quote,
    >but you're absolutely right, it does advocate dismantling Saddam's
    >illegitimate authority, doesn't it?
    >

    >MOQ.ORG - http://www.moq.org
    >Mail Archives:
    >Aug '98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/
    Nov
    >'02 Onward -
    >http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html MD Queries
    >- horse@darkstar.uk.net
    >
    >To unsubscribe from moq_discuss follow the instructions at:
    >http://www.moq.org/md/subscribe.html

    _________________________________________________________________ MSN
    9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months
    FREE!

    Aug '98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/ Nov
    '02 Onward -
    http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html MD Queries -

    horse@darkstar.uk.net

    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983
    Web Site: http://www.infoproconsulting.com
    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything."  -- Henri Poincare'
    MOQ.ORG  - http://www.moq.org
    Nov '02 Onward  - http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html