Re: MD MOQ and The Moral Evolution of Society.

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 15:46:20 BST

    Dear Mark H. (and David M.),

    You suggested 26 May 2004 21:00:25 -0700 the following definition of a
    'moral society':
    'Societal institutions that restrict or impede the free flow and interaction
    of ideas are immoral, especially if such ideas are critical of existing
    institutions. It is immoral for institutions to in any way restrict
    individual freedom to act and react in response to biological drives, or in
    response to other institutions, or in response to the free interchange of
    ideas, unless such activity threatens morally superior institutions or can
    be shown to eliminate
    or restrict such freedom for others.'

    Whether a society is 'moral' or 'immoral' depends on what (other society)
    you compare it with. 'Defining' a 'moral society' suggests that it is a
    specific situation or phenomenon.
    Restricting freedom can be an aspect of immorality (but see the distinction
    I make in my 5 Jun 2004 07:09:30 +0200 e-mail), but it is not the only one.
    I propose to define the direction of 'moral evolution of society' rather
    than 'moral society' itself. As I suggested 26 May 2004 21:47:01 +0200, that
    definition should have more substance than just 'more freedom' (or even more
    'free flow and interaction of ideas'). My definition of the direction of
    'moral evolution of society' would contain 'stability', 'versatility' and
    'harmony with higher level patterns of value'.
    So I won't follow your suggestions to discuss your list of possible immoral
    institutions and to judge their immorality from their 'immorally restricting
    or impeding individual freedom'.
    1) Because you don't tell us what to compare them with.
    2) Because restricting/impeding freedom in general is not a good criterium
    for (im)morality and only a partial one. (In fact your 'immorally
    restricting ...' suggests the same: Apparantly it is also possible to
    'morally restrict ... freedom'. The real criterium for (im)morality is
    missing in your suggestion.)

    You wrote 29 May 2004 17:02:00 -0700
    'I hope you don't mean by this that we must tolerate immoral static patterns
    of value (social institutions) until we can create "better" ones to replace
    them.'

    How can you call them "immoral" (i.e. relative to an alternative that
    already exists or is realizable) when we can NOT create "better" ones to
    replace them?
    Until better ones are available they are the most moral ones available and
    it would be immoral to dismantle them.

    You continued 29 May:
    'How can the concept of "latching" be understood if DQ is not above SQ? How
    is it that when an attempted latching fails, we "fall back" to a lower
    value.'

    A pattern latches at a specific level of Quality. When it fails patterns at
    a lower level of Quality take over. This 'Quality' that measures 'higher'
    and 'lower' combines DQ and sq.
    We can define sq, but we can't define DQ, so we can't fully define evolution
    either. 'Latching' is a metaphor that has only limited validity.
    If DQ is the cutting edge of (patterned) experience/reality (another
    metaphor), it can't be really distinguished from the sq (the combined
    patterns) of which it is the edge.

    You continued 29 May:
    'Freedom means freedom to create new static value patterns and freedom from
    old static value
    patterns that are shown to be morally null.'

    Yes. I would say '... that are less moral'. 'Shown to be' is redundant, as
    the existence of patterns implies experiencing them.

    I asked 30 May 2004 00:02:02 +0200:
    'At the biological level these Dynamic forces have to invent different types
    of molecules. What do they invent at the social level?'

    You replied 29 May 2004 17:02:00 -0700:
    'Morally superior institutions.'

    You apparently didn't understand my point.
    Carbon molecules already exist at the inorganic level. Latching biological
    patterns of value requires two new types of them: DNA and proteins.
    So I asked you for something that already exists at the biological level,
    which DQ can use to give one type of it a Dynamic function and another type
    of it a static function.
    My suggestion would be to see 'behaviour' as the (biological level) parallel
    for the (inorganical level) 'molecules'. What type of 'behaviour' can be
    used by Dynamic forces to invent different types of at the social level that
    have (which) Dynamic and static functions there?
    The 'morally superior institutions' are a parallel to 'surviving species' in
    biological evolution. That was not what I asked for.

    (David M.'s suggestion of 30 May 2004 12:59:43 +0100, 'ideas', doesn't
    answer my question either for the same reason. In addition to that I would
    rather reserve the concept of 'ideas' for an explanation of the step from
    the social to the intellectual level.)