Re: MD Polls and morality

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 05:24:15 BST

    Dear Johnny,

    You wrote 7 Jun 2004 17:49:49 +0000:
    'I've long championed the original and still to my mind correct definition
    of morality as being "whatever most people do". As in "the mores" of a
    society. ... Morality's relation to ethics or objectively good behavior is
    thus only tangential, predicated on a shared belief that most of us are good
    and ethical. ... How this relates to polling is very interesting, because in
    reality, what we feel is moral is not necessarily an accurate sampling of
    what most people do, but is only what we think most people do. ... If we
    think most people cheat, then we think it is moral, it is the expected
    behavior, and we are MUCH more likely to cheat ourselves. ... If we think
    most people cheat, then we think it is moral, it is the expected behavior,
    and we are MUCH more likely to cheat ourselves. ... Putting "DQ" on a
    pedestal and excoriating existing patterns of course is also immoral, though
    those here who believe that DQ is the source of morality and all that is
    good will of course object.'

    This is logically untenable and inconsistent with the MoQ as I understand
    it.

    It is logically untenable because of an implied paradox: How can it be
    immoral that most people cheat if morality is defined as "whatever most
    people do"?? Implicitly you are applying another definition that you say you
    do! And putting "DQ" highest is what most people do on this list, than
    THAT's the moral thing to do (according to your definition, but not to
    you)...

    Explanation of its inconsistence with the MoQ (at least my version of it)
    requires a discussion of definitions of morality:

    The original definition of morality is a definition of intellectual patterns
    of value that describe the social patterns of value that keep together
    society. It is indeed derives from "mores", "what most people do": the
    pattern of 'normal' and thus 'normative' behaviour. Originally such
    intellectual patterns of value (the 'moralities' of societies) supported
    societies that were threatened with degeneration, because relatively few
    people were NOT doing anymore what others had always done, i.e. were
    breaking those social patterns of value.

    The original definition is not the correct definition any more. It has
    become "ideas about what people should do" (regardless of what most people
    do). It is a definition of intellectual patterns of value that do not
    necessarily describe social patterns of value, but that rather prescribes
    them, that tries to change them. It is a definition of a 4th level
    phenomenon.

    The definition of morality in the MoQ is broader than that in normal
    parlance. It is broadened to include 'morality' at the inorganic,
    biological, social and intellectual levels, instead of only at the
    intellectual level.

    Given the lack of logic in your post and its inconsistency with the MoQ I
    find it impossible to comment on your idea that polls produce stimulate
    immorality and are thus immoral themselves (if I understood it correctly).

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim